Sports section

John_Olexa

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What do you all think about having a sports section? I'm sure there's enough of us who shoot sports even at the High school / college level to put one to good use.

What do you all think about having a sports section? I'm sure there's enough of us who shoot sports even at the High school / college level to put one to good use.

Well, as they told me when I suggested another section. It would be to confusing. Why it would be confusing, I have no idea, but yea... Thats what they told me.

Well, as they told me when I suggested another section. It would be to confusing. Why it would be confusing, I have no idea, but yea... Thats what they told me.

well we wouldn't just blanket everyones suggestions with the reply you got for yours, plus if you go back and read your thread i gave the reasons why but i'll explain again....

A sports section isn't out of the question... but as i said before... we would end up with people making threads about how the dont get any responses... and how would you feel only getting 1 or 2 responses for your best images?

The idea of making the forum as simple as possible is to ensure that everyones posts get a good viewing. I for one am not really interested in sports photog so i wouldnt go to a section for it... however if im looking through the general gallery and i see a good football shot, i will take the time to comment on it.

You see, its not that we dont want to create more and more galleries for our own sake... its so that you get the maximum amount of views for your images.

However, the forum layout is under review, so as i said its not out of the question.

well we wouldn't just blanket everyones suggestions with the reply you got for yours, plus if you go back and read your thread i gave the reasons why but i'll explain again....

A sports section isn't out of the question... but as i said before... we would end up with people making threads about how the dont get any responses... and how would you feel only getting 1 or 2 responses for your best images?

The idea of making the forum as simple as possible is to ensure that everyones posts get a good viewing. I for one am not really interested in sports photog so i wouldnt go to a section for it... however if im looking through the general gallery and i see a good football shot, i will take the time to comment on it.

You see, its not that we dont want to create more and more galleries for our own sake... its so that you get the maximum amount of views for your images.

However, the forum layout is under review, so as i said its not out of the question.

But, look at it from this stand point. What if someone wants to look at others sports photography to maybe get some idea of what they are doing right or wrong, they cant... in order for them to find sports photos, they have to filter through all the stuff they currently aren't interested in to finally get to what they want.

Just my opinion. I guess I just like organization.

*edit*
btw, here is exactly what you said in my thread

"yea.. we won't be making anymore categories... its a really bad way to go, it makes the site more confusing and people end up not wanting to post into small galleries where they wont get many views."

Unfortunately, we cannot have a category for every single facet of photography. It's just not possible to do so and keep the forum navigable.

As Arch said, that doesn't mean 'no' necessarily, though, because things are being reviewed at the moment.

Patience is a virtue, however...most of the mod team lead much busier lives than we did when we first began modding.

As a forum administrator elsewhere I understand this full well. So lets break it down a little and clarify what the thought process is here from an administrative and moderational viewpoint.

Too many forum sections grow difficult to navigate, we all know this, that is why sections are kept as broad as possible.

In order to have individual sections for different facets, that facet must be broad enough to be worth the effort by encorperating several different variations of the theme at hand.

for example:
Sports is a fairly broad subject encompassing Football, Football Americana, base ball cricket, Le Mans and many more spectator sports. This Is likely why it is not totally out of the question.

Structures and monuments, is somewhat broad encumpasing buildings, statues, grave stones, bridges and other man made structures and architectual feats. I feel it's broad enough to warrent concideration even though it may be a little questionable.

Pets can also hold it's own with the shere variaty of domesticated animals kept be they cats, dogs, alligators...ect.

However at the same time some subjects do not warrent their own place despite however much popularity they may have.

For example:
Macro, Macro shooting is only as broad as the distance from your subject. Just because the individual subject or distance to the subject changes, it's all the same. I feel this one is a definate unlikely.

HDR, HDR is excessively narrow. HDR's are problemadic at best, seldom properly exicuted, and often mislabled this could lead to moderating issues due to complaints of inappropriateness and again all the same. I feel this one is a definate unlikely as well.

People, People is also very narrow, no mater how you look at a person they are still a person, This is where I believe the issue has arrisin in regard to the separation of people and pets. Quite honestly I see no where else to put them....

Now I am not (and likely won't be) staff here on TPF, so my point of view is only worth so much and may not to be exact in accordance with the TPF staff, but that is the way I would take these section suggestions into account.

:thumbup:

A sports forum would be nice, but Arch is spot on here.

What about an Action gallery.. could include any sort of action stopping photo's:
Sports, cars, games..
I think many things could fall under this catagory

According to the argument here, I would take it to be that photojournalism gallery wouldn't be added if it was currently a non-exsisting catagory. Not trying to create an big argument, just giving my 2 cents.......but, I would be happy to share sports photos with other folks interested in sports photography. I do think it is a large segment of the photography world, and I would rather have other sports guys commenting on shots instead of 25 comments from "newbies" only interested in building their post count.

For me it's the side of quality instead of quantity. There is only one page in the photojournalism catagory, and only a handful have more than 10 replies. I think if the sports guys ( and gals ) had a place to go, they would make good quality use of the catagory ( or sub catagory if need be )

quality not quantity.

According to the argument here, I would take it to be that photojournalism gallery wouldn't be added if it was currently a non-exsisting catagory. Not trying to create an big argument, just giving my 2 cents.......but, I would be happy to share sports photos with other folks interested in sports photography. I do think it is a large segment of the photography world, and I would rather have other sports guys commenting on shots instead of 25 comments from "newbies" only interested in building their post count.

For me it's the side of quality instead of quantity. There is only one page in the photojournalism catagory, and only a handful have more than 10 replies. I think if the sports guys ( and gals ) had a place to go, they would make good quality use of the catagory ( or sub catagory if need be )

quality not quantity.

Quoted for the truth.

One page in the photojournalism gallery? You must have your settings to not show all of the threads. There are over 600 threads in the photojournalism gallery.

One page in the photojournalism gallery? You must have your settings to not show all of the threads. There are over 600 threads in the photojournalism gallery.

That was my assumption as well but any who.

Tennessee Landscape, Bare in mind, the post I made is speculation from my point of view as a photography site administrator. It should be known that the site I administrate is in a sense polar opposite. Our site is nothing like this one, Our site is gallery first forum second wile TPF is forum first and gallery second. On top of that it is the wish of the site I work for to do just what corry mentioned and have a category for every single facet of photography in the main emphasis of the site. Even though this is not in terms of the forum the guidelines I spewed out are the same despite our intention of inclusion of galleries for every single facet of photography. So that train of thought may be close but I can not guarantee any accuracy as it applies here.

In truth if you really think about it, one can literally dummie down the categories of photography into four basic arias Journalism, Wild life, Portraiture and Artistic representation. These four can encompass all imagery that can be produced, however they are way too broad to be of any use to the average person, so separations are made to help hone the navigation and clarify what is there. Metaphorically speaking, if you hone a sword it becomes easier to use, hone it too much and you destroy it completely.

Now, I am not arguing that sporting events is not worth consideration, just CMA.

quality not quantity.

This may sound good.... but in reality if you post a thread and it gets NO responses at all... are you happier with that?
You could go back and check how many threads have been made in TPF's history 'Are my shots that bad?'.... 'i wont post anymore'.... 'what am i doing wrong'....

The point is, yes we could make lots of little sections where people can post a certain subject... and its easier to find.... BUT view count HAS to take presedence over ease of archiving..... and although im sure you will argue this point, my knowledge of this forum and of the general public tells me its what people want more.
Even if i look at it in a democratic sense, we have a few people wanting a new section, which tbh we dont get much sports photography come through the forum per week.... Vs, a string of threads made by people who are dissapointed they dont have any comments, not to mention the people that dont even make a new thread about it.

The members here have already given us the answer.

Most reactions

Back