spot in view finder.. Help

CRman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It seems there is a spot in my view finder. It doesnt seem to appear in photos even shooting a clear blue sky a f/22. Can this be fixed? I do want to take it in for a cleaning as its only 5 month old but not sure it will help. Any one have a ball park est of what Ritz charges for cleaning a camera??? I can only imagine... Thanks for advice and has any on else had this issue? How does it happen?

Well if the spot from the view finder appears on the photos too. That means that you have dust on the lens (or in the lens), on the mirror (i think), but i mostly think that is dust on you image processor.

My advise is to clean the lens with a tissue (if that's the case) and about the mirror or processor, use a blower and you might succeed in cleaning it.
If it still appears, then my advice is to buy a cleaning kit and watch some tutorials about cleaning the image processor (but be very very careful), or go to a specialized man to clean it for you. If you still have guarantee on the camera you should go to the shop you bought it and they will clean it for you. :)

CRman has stated that the spot does not appear on the images so it can only be on the view finder.

Any spot on any surface of the lens would have to be huge to be have a visible effect on the limage and would appear very blurred on the sensor or looking through the view finder.

Take the lens off, turn the camera so that it is upside down and any dust from the bottom of the viewfinder will not fall on the sensor and use a Q-Tip/cotton bud or similar to gently clean the underside of the view finder. If this does not shift the speck then live with it.

It is virtually inevitable that cameras will pick up dust on the viewfinder but unless it can be easily removed by yourself I wouldn't worry about it - do you really want to pay some possibly unskilled, uncaring shop worker to poke around inside your D80?

Honestly, if it isn't on the photos it probably doesn't matter much. It shouldn't mess up composure or anything unless your really sensitive about that stuff. I bought a cleaning kit from Ritz and tried to clean that same problem but couldn't get rid of it... in fact I made it worse lol. Don't clean the image sensor unless you know how for future reference. (that is not your problem by the way)

It's probably just on the mirror. I don't worry about that crud unless it's actually on the sensor and in photos. You can use a blower bulb to try to get it off, but then you run the risk of it going back onto the sensor. One suggestion is a blower bulb to break it loose, and then have a shop vac sucking away to suck it out of the camera once it's loose.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back