Springs

Southbound33

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Got up close and personal with a fast train.

IMG_6599.JPG

Curious how fast this train was moving. EXIF says you were at 29mm.

Even if the train was only moving at 5 mph 29mm would be way too close for me. It looks like you were only a couple feet away. I love shooting pictures but there's no sense being foolish when doing so.

@Bryston3bsst, at that focal length, I would assume @Southbound33 probably/hopefully did some cropping of the original image to 'get in that close'? Maybe?

Curious how fast this train was moving. EXIF says you were at 29mm.

Even if the train was only moving at 5 mph 29mm would be way too close for me. It looks like you were only a couple feet away. I love shooting pictures but there's no sense being foolish when doing so.

This is probably the worst critique of all time.

It's not a critique. At least not of the picture.

Do you feel insulted or slighted in some way because I made a point about safety? True, I don't know how close you were which is pretty clear by the way I worded my statement. You'll notice I said "it looks like....you were only a couple feet away." I've been around trains quite a bit in my life. The one thing that I always found interesting was the fact that a moving train can actually pull you into it if you're within a certain distance and the train is moving at a fast enough speed.

But thanks for your critique of my 'critique.'

Last edited:
Maybe a gorillapod and a couple of Yongnuo triggers? Safe distance, click click click.

Just sitting on the sidewalk. I could not have reached out and touched the train. The image is cropped. Even if for some reason I would have toppled over, I would have been in no danger. To me, this is no more dangerous then taking a picture of a cliff, or from the open tail of helicopter flying over a combat zone, which I've also done. Sometimes, just like anything else in life, you have to take some risk. I personally felt that this was one of the safer pictures that I've taken. Hope this clears up all the worries about my "foolishness"

My take:
What was your intent for this photo?
In other words, they "why did you take it"?

My take:
What was your intent for this photo?
In other words, they "why did you take it"?

I don't know, why is the sky blue, why is watter wet? Why is grass green? I liked it, so I took it.

Edit: Not being mean here, these things just appeal to me. My son really likes trains, so while he sat in the car I just wanted to get some cool pics for him.

Last edited:
kinda like the second black and white with the train lights. with maybe a sky adjustment or crop there could be a good photo there (though i like it as is too)

actually even the first photo is kinda neat, as the focus is JUST on the springs. kinda a neat effect, the square adds to it too with the spinning wheel. Neat photo.

Thanks for the feedback. I had to crop so much out of that second b&w pic that I'm happy with how it turned out. You can edit it if you want

Most reactions

New Topics

Back