sRGB print question

mitsugirly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have figured this cropping all out to get the right print size. Now, another question has came up that I'm confused about.

I found out that my commercial printer only accepts the picture as a sRGB file.

How do I save my prints after they are prepared for print so that it will be in sRGB format? It doesn't let me save it in the Save or Save As with sRGB...only the Adobe RGB (1998). The only way I can figure to save it is the "Save to the Web" option as a sRGB.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

sRGB is a color space, not a format.

In Photoshop or Elements click on "Image > Mode and then select RGB

Make sure the "ICC profile: Adobe RGB 1998" box is not checked.

Sorry, I didn't know the correct terminology for it...I just knew what I was talking about. :lol:

Under Image > Mode > the RGB is selected. However, I'm needing sRGB. There's nothing under the Mode that says: Adobe RGB 1998 to uncheck.

However, I did go to edit > convert to profile and found a setting that says: Profile: sRGB IEC61966-2.1. I'm hoping this is the setting I'm looking for?

Yes. You need to use Convert to Profile. Dumping the ICC profile will just cause programs to assume that it's in sRGB, but since it's actually in AdobeRGB, it'll result in browned-out and washed-out colours. Use the Convert to Profile dialogue, covert it to sRGB, and away you go (try not to think too much about what all those extra buttons and options do; until you read up on them, they're a nightmare...actually it's all still a nightmare even after you read up on it all...*sigh* I hate colour management).

In Photoshop select Edit -> Conver to Profile. and select sRGB in there.

It is wise for this reason to keep your entire process in sRGB. When editing your RAW (or your camera settings) you have the option of which colour space you wish to work with.

Anything other than sRGB can't be viewed by effectively the entire internet, can't be viewed by many other people, shows no benefit on nearly all monitors out there, and can only get a very every so tiny amount of extra colour if printed right, by a competent printer, assuming you find a company to even support other colour spaces. It's a colour management headache with a minute benefit if you're willing to spend $30 on a print or $1000 on a printer.

Most reactions

Back