Stacking photos for star trails - light foreground?

eswebster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am headed out to great dunes national park/preserve next week with the plan to do some astrophotography. I'd like to try out some image stacking as well. When stacking images is it necessary to paint the foreground? Seems like some of the examples and demos I have seen the foreground lightens up just by stacking all of the images. However, i dont want to get back and process and have a completely black foreground and only stars.

Thanks for the views and feedback.

In an ebook I have been reading. The method this guy uses is to take 5 or more photos lighting up the foreground. With different lighting. So lighting just edges, all of it and only middle. Be then blends them in photoshop to get desired result.

Sent from my iPad using PhotoForum

I am headed out to great dunes national park/preserve next week with the plan to do some astrophotography. I'd like to try out some image stacking as well. When stacking images is it necessary to paint the foreground? Seems like some of the examples and demos I have seen the foreground lightens up just by stacking all of the images. However, i dont want to get back and process and have a completely black foreground and only stars.

Thanks for the views and feedback.
\

If you want to be sure, just take an exposure of the foreground with settings in your camera explicitly to make if bright enough for how you'd like it. Worst case scenario, you can then just cut out that part of that photo and paste it in by itself to the final version for your sufficiently bright foreground.

I agree, take a few exposed for the foreground elements. Probably be best to drop the ISO and lengthen the shutter speed to keep the noise down. Then blend them later.

Most reactions

Back