Stadium Lights

coachgrd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, the forum description says don't be shy so I'm jumping in...let me thank you in advance for your help!

I am looking for some basic guidance on shooting some pics of rural high school football stadium lights at dusk (maybe a hour before sunset) from a distance several miles away from a high vantage point. I have nothing more than a Olympus digital camera for the basic consumer. I do have a tripod to mount it on. Any advice regarding what I need to consider or what settings I should be using?

Thank you again,
Gary

*EDIT* In case I did not do a good job of explaining what I'm after, I'm not looking to photograph any of the game action, just the lights of the field in the surrounding landscape.

Last edited:
Several Miles away and a very high vantage point? My advice is get closer...as close as possible. I'm not sure you'll get satisfactory results otherwise, regardless the settings. Otherwise, I would absolutely invest in a tripod... at that distance you'll have to zoom and camera shake is a real possibility. You can get one that will suit your needs at walmart for pretty cheap.

Otherwise,

Welcome to TPF!

They are supposed to be "on" when you take your photo?
Why do you want to be so far away?
Which lens will zoom you back there?

For light sources at dusk or night, I suggest a small aperture. Leads to slow shutter speeds of course, so your tripod will come in handy. For those lights, once they're on, you might not even need too long an exposure time ... unless you are a couple of miles away and most other parts of your photo are dark. In that case, your camera will say to you: Use a slooooow shutter speed! Sometimes, however, it is wiser to ignore what the camera says... ;) ... Why don't you play around a little and test it out?

LaFoto...

Yes, the lights would be "on."

The reason for the distance is I'm looking to capture the lights of the field in the surrounding landscape.

And now that I think about it, it would be more like 1 mile (as the crow flies.)

Last edited:
Or maybe the Canon 600mm then?

Time of day will be important -- as the sun is setting, the balance of light between the artificial lights and sky will be changing quickly, and the window for the perfect shot will be short.

Most reactions

Back