Stage names for photographers

UUilliam

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anyone else feel their name makes for a rubbish title?

Mines is William Campbell, or William Campbell Photography / WCP
They all sound quite crap.
I don't even have an interesting middle name like Rankin.

So what do you think about using a stage name as a photographer?

I'm using this to make random names to see which I like.
Behind the Name: Random Name Generator

I am considering it.

I... just... don't understand why you'd wanna use "Harmon Ó Raghailligh".

That seems terribly ridiculous to me. :lol:

1. I don't think there's anything wrong with your name. It's your work. It's your name. So why not?

2. I can't even BEGIN to figure how "Raghailligh" is pronounced. Seems terribly counter productive if you want people to spread your name around word of mouth.

3. Just in GENERAL... see second sentence in point #2.

4. If you don't want to use your name, then make up a DBA name that is creative, attention grabbing, and means something to you or your target client.

I go by Emily Rose because I hate the way my last name sounds (Shh... don't tell my husband). I think "Emily Rose Photography" just flows much better than "Emily McGonigle Photography".

BUT...

I'm still using my name... Emily Rose IS my name... I just dropped my last name and am using my middle name as a substitute.

Using "Harmon Ó Raghailligh"... I feel like you'd have to create a whole new identity for yourself, and that just seems like WAY more work than it's worth for a photographer.

I could be wrong though...

Still... not a fan of it.

I don't think this would work for a photography business, at least not a small scale new one. Simply put if I walk into "Dave's Photography" chances are I want to talk to Dave, or at least will assume that Dave is running things and also the top photographer. To then be met by Simon who actually runs and owns it all I'd be confused as to why its called Dave's.

I think it can work when you have it has a brand name over a chain store type setup or when its a much more established and older company; but for a new setup I'd either stick to a regular name or your own as the title and not a stage name.

Rose >.> refresh the page, it'll give you a new name :p

ones I picked out were;

Ralph Daniels
Kodey Quick
Edan Maccrum
Uilliam Zegher
Thorvald Reid
Sean Moffett
Damian Regan
Arnold Hayden

Overread: You just say you are that person :p
I suppose when it comes to legal documents and stuff though...

My full name is, "William Kevin McIver Campbell"
Just doesn't have much of a ring to it so...
Also, trying to make a DECENT logo with "william campbell" is quite hard lol.

Overread: You just say you are that person :p
I suppose when it comes to legal documents and stuff though...

Like signing the contract with your client - or dealing with any documentation. I don't know about you but if someone introduced themselves as one person and then had a totally different set of names for the "legal" documents I wouldn't be signing any papers at all.

Honestly I think you are trying to do something that just isn't that feasible for a smaller time photographer company; if you don't like what your name gives you to work with just go with something else:

"Bright Eye Photography"
"The Ruling 3rds Photographer"

ok maybe not ones quite so cheesy but you get the idea ;)

I agree with the above. I don't see much point in creating fiction name either.
I just don't understand why you don't like your name. I'd be happy if I have more than just a first name and surname :) Unfortunately, it isn't really common here in Slovakia to give children middle names.

How about just giving it a Studio name:
Studio 101 etc.
Lots of folk here just apply a nearby well known highway, freeway etc.
Consider what is popular around your area , history etc. Oak Valley Studios etc.
Give us a link to where you live and what is popular and maybe we can help come up with a name.
-
Shoot well, Joe

Seymour Johnson Photography?

Michele Possesky is now........Mish Photo

Most reactions

New Topics

Back