stairs to the fight...

black94sol

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
wanting some comments on this...i was messing w/ it in ps, colors weren't really working for me, so b&w...comments??

100_0263.jpg

I like the perspective...but I don't feel that it's telling enough of the story. Maybe if there was something off in the background...maybe a vehicle...maybe just a pair of boots...just something that is there, waiting for you. It needs a strong focal point to grab the attention of the viewers. The stairs do a good job of leading us into the image...but there is just nothing to see...once we get there.

I like the contrast of the B&W treatment...but it's too light IMO. It feels like it needs some dark areas to balance out all the light areas. I'm thinking that a dark vignette would help.

I prefer the second shot, mainly because that its a bit darker but also I didn't like the empty space in the top right of the first shot

what fight? is the fight outside and you're going down to the fight, or is the fight upstairs in the building and you're already at the door?

if the fight is downstairs, i'd probalby shoot through the stairs with whatever would be fighting in the background that can be seen through the stairs... having the fighter on the steps walking down would be even better...

as it is, w/o the title, it just looks like a still life of stairs.

I don't do much tech stuff so let me go at this this way... A stairway to nothing is a pretty hard sell...

The concept stairs is that it leads to or away from something. A shot up the stairs to a door with something written on it or something waiting at the foot of the stairs is a much easier sell.

It a good idea though the illusion of movement is one of the things good photography is all about. It is all smoke and mirror plus the image.

A field pack and rifle at the foot of the stairs would be an easier sell. If you see what I mean.

black94sol said:
i'm in iraq

Just keep in mind that we don't know any of that from the picture unless you're putting something in it to tell us. We only see that image and know 0 backstory.

On the upside... you're in Iraq!!! You should have access too all kinds of cool stuff to put into the image and really add a powerful shot. Like mysteryscribe said a pair of boots and rifle at the bottom on the stairs will make it an entirely different image, add a Humvee with the driver's side door hanging open and you'll have even more punch. You have a lot of resources there that most people will never see... take advantage of that and you can come up with some awesome pics.

I'm psyched to see what else you post.

rmh159 said:
Just keep in mind that we don't know any of that from the picture unless you're putting something in it to tell us. We only see that image and know 0 backstory.

On the upside... you're in Iraq!!! You should have access too all kinds of cool stuff to put into the image and really add a powerful shot. Like mysteryscribe said a pair of boots and rifle at the bottom on the stairs will make it an entirely different image, add a Humvee with the driver's side door hanging open and you'll have even more punch. You have a lot of resources there that most people will never see... take advantage of that and you can come up with some awesome pics.

I'm psyched to see what else you post.

check his thread in the beginners section, it is amazing!

BTW the second shot is much better, but you are still lacking some contrast IMO.

EDIT: I edited your second shot, using gimp I upped the contrast 50 and then used levels to darken it (because the contrast made it way to bright) the result was a nice bold B&W image.

oh, and sorry for the super noob question, but how do you make your boarders like that. I have been meaning to ask but have been waiting to see a boarder I like

i do it in ps...just go to canvas size, i usually increase it by 50 pixels...that's all i do

thank you very much for the kind words "amazing" i don't think it's quite that good. but thank you

Well it did make it a different picture for me once i learned you are in Iraq. So like they were saying something that would signify what type of fight would be awesome.
My brother is going to Iraq in March and I couldn't help but sit here for a few minutes and stare at those stairs like thinking about how my brother may end up going up and down a pair just like them thinking similar thoughts to yours.
Good luck to you!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back