Stalemate

Digital Matt

alter ego: Analog Matt
Reaction score
Website
www.mattperko.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been wanting to shoot some more chess shots, but I couldn't find my pieces. I finally found them the other day, and had to do something. I'll probably have more of these soon. This is the best one I took so far I think.

Lighting is from underneath, bounced off the back, and a small spotlight overhead of the pieces.

Let me know what you think :D

stalemate.jpg

Great shot, but id feel more comfortable if they were on squares...

Any why is there water on the board? although I like the effect

I sorta agree with Arty that they seems a little bit off. Maybe try shooting completely dead on so the rows are straight and there is a straight line down the absolute center... then lines the peices back to back against that line

other than that suggestion, I do like your new border! very classy looking IMO. I like the color/lighting/DOF and everything else too. Good stuff, Matt :D

Lighting is extremely well done. I have to agree with Arty that the pieces look a little funny not being on the actual squares and I'm not sure what they water represents in the photo. The title threw me since stalemate makes me thinks of the kings in chess, not the knights but that's probably just a personal preference.

love the lighting. Have you tried a diagonal patern? afterall that's how the horses move. definitely lose the water. looks strange with it.

Thanks for the suggestions and comments guys. My purpose here was not really to show a chess game in progress or anything :p I'm after the symbolism, the deeper meaning. I wanted this scene to represent the end of a long battle. The chessboard is the battleground, because the warriors are chess pieces, but they aren't on squares, because like I said, it's not a chess game. It's a battle for life and death. A duel if you will. I can see why you guys would want to see everything lined up, but honestly, I'm not a fan of symmetry in most of my images. I took some that were absolutely symmetrcal, and frankly, they just seemed bland to me, as though they didn't tell any kind of story. To me they looked set up. I'll try and post some different shots from this shoot in the photo gallery.

The water was just to create an environment; to take away from the "chess game" look and give it a real world battlefield look. I don't know if I achieved it or not.

Thanks again guys. I'm going to be working with this setup a lot, because I really love that lighting I was able to get. I really wanna get at least one great shot of these chess pieces.

I actually like the fact that it seems the pieces aren't directly on the sqaures, and the water gives a neat effect. It's not your typical chess shot, so that is refreshing. One thing I noticed, but could be completely and entirely psycho is that it seems to slant just a tad, is it just me??? It seems just a degree or two higher on the left than the right, but again could be me. That's the only thing I would change with it though...I think you achieved your purpose that you set out to :)

i see what you're saying Matt, i just wasn't sure if you had tried it or not. Now that i know what you were going for, i have to say it's pretty successful :thumbup:

Ok, I think I must be crazy, b/c now the pic doesn't seem slanted to me as much. I agree w/Jadin though I like the water, and maybe adding more would even be better :)

To a degree yes, but I think absolute symmetry makes things look more setup.

I deliberatly placed them so they would not seem that way :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back