Stamp layer vs duplicate layer

lennon33x

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I've seen it done several ways in Photoshop. The first layer, in order to make a layer adjustment, is either stamped or duplicated. Is there a difference or is it just preference

Stamped?
Unless changed, the first layer is called the Background Layer. The Background layer can not be edited.
If you want to make it an editable layer, click on the lock icon to the right of the layer name. Unless you change the layer name, it will then be labeled Layer 0.

To make a layer adjustment, or to make an Adjustment layer? Two very different things.

If you press your keyboard's F! key with Photoshop open it takes you directly to the Adobe Community Help​ web page.

If you want to duplicate the selected layer, use the keyboard short-cut --- Ctrl-J.
To make an Adjustment layer use the Adjustment layer icon (the dark/white circle) along the bottom of the Layers work pallet.

Last edited:
So I have an image as a background layer. I can either:
a.) Ctrl-J - Duplicate Layer
b.) Command+Alt+Shft+E - stamp layer. (also called flattening layers) - I know this merges all of the visible layers

Apparently, I can only duplicate the layer when there is only the background layer. I think when I initially started using photoshop I confused the two, and then I reconfused myself today trying to explain it to someone.

The "stamp visible" command is invaluable IMO.

If you have numerous layers with masks and different opacities, etc you can just make a stamp layer on top that merges the visible image into a new single layer while preserving the original layers below. It's great for doing global finishing touches like sharpening or any of the filters, which you can't do with an adjustment layer.

I use ctrl+alt+shift+e all the time for the reasons that are already explained by 18.percent.gary

Most reactions

New Topics

Back