Star Trails

JLEphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.eldridgestudios.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, this Wed. I will be going to the Everglades to capture some star trails..... Of course the issue is that this is a first for. Any suggestions for starting points? Thank you for ANY advice you can offer up.

Camera: Nikon D200

So, this Wed. I will be going to the Everglades to capture some star trails..... Of course the issue is that this is a first for. Any suggestions for starting points? Thank you for ANY advice you can offer up.

Camera: Nikon D200

Use the 24-85 @ f/2.8 and put it as ISO 1600 but no more than 3200. Also, if you have a hand warmer, you might want to wrap that around your lens to prevent moisture/dew forming.

Use the 24-85 @ f/2.8 and put it as ISO 1600 but no more than 3200. Also, if you have a hand warmer, you might want to wrap that around your lens to prevent moisture/dew forming.

JLEphoto - please do not take this poster's advice on ISO. You will end up with a photograph that is incredibly grainy and will saturate (become solid white) way too quickly to get any meaningful star trails, especially at an f/2.8 aperture.

I haven't done star trails in a few years, but you can take a look at the settings I used for some of my old ones by clicking here. Clicking on any of the three photos on that page will take you to larger versions as well as a table of exposure information. Looks like I didn't list aperture and ISO, but going back to the originals I can tell you that ISO was 100 and aperture was f/5.6.

If you're going to be shooting star trails, you should be using film--long shutter speeds = noise on digital. You should be able to find a nikon film slr that will use all your lenses for $50 or so online.

Most reactions

Back