Starbuck's, Capitol Hill, Seattle

The Barbarian

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
47343705061_8479ec7469_h.jpg

Nicely done, I like the tonal qualities.
A. C.

I’ve never done HDR, sorry if this is an obvious but how did you stack exposures without blurring the people?

I’ve never done HDR, sorry if this is an obvious but how did you stack exposures without blurring the people?

Usually, you can't, with this many people. So a single Raw image, processed for different exposure levels, then recombined in HDR software. I used Raw Therapee to make the different exposure level images, and Luminance HDR to process them.

Usually, you can't, with this many people. So a single Raw image, processed for different exposure levels, then recombined in HDR software. I used Raw Therapee to make the different exposure level images, and Luminance HDR to process them.

I was under the impression that HDR was multiple photos at different exposures, usually no less than three. Meaning the photographer took three separate images at various exposures and then combined them in post. Do I have this wrong?

With a RAW you have the ability to process the same file at many different exposures and then combine them to give an effect similar to you would achieve if bracketing and combining.

Sent from my mobile device because I’m either outside or too lazy to get my MacBook..

Of all the HDRs I've done, I'd say 95% were from a single raw image saved with different exposure values, including the pano of Kleine Sheidegg in the landscape forum.

As for the original image, there's a couple spots where the lines don't match up. Above the bar and in the glass railing. Not a big deal, still a really cool image.

I live in Lynnwood and I haven't made it to this place yet. My girlfriend has, she said it was cool, but a lot of neckbeards and people taking themselves and their coffee a little too $eriou$ly. lol

With a RAW you have the ability to process the same file at many different exposures and then combine them to give an effect similar to you would achieve if bracketing and combining.

Sent from my mobile device because I’m either outside or too lazy to get my MacBook..
Got it, I'm Googling it and am going to tryout the DxO software as I read that it can do single RAW HDR.

Reactions: D7K

Got it, I'm Googling it and am going to tryout the DxO software as I read that it can do single RAW HDR.

You can also just process the same RAW file in DarkRoom or LR whatever you choose to use; set the at -1 0 +1 exposure; you should be able to use one to recover shadows - your base exposure and one to recover any blown highlights then put the three files into your HDR / PS software and blend them either manually or automatically, again whichever suits you. If I am blending exposures I tend to use luminosity masks to bring back the parts of my "Base" image that I want to recover, whether that be highlights or shadows.

I should also mention that I have tried the same thing, with pretty good success, with pictures taken with my Samsung 9 phone. There isn't as much latitude in those images as there would be in a Raw image, but there is enough to do the job, if the light and dark areas are not too extreme. Always worth a try.

33242065378_b4f152379b_b.jpg

As for the original image, there's a couple spots where the lines don't match up. Above the bar and in the glass railing. Not a big deal, still a really cool image.

I see the railing issue. The ceiling boards are really that irregular above the bar. It's an interesting place; I was there with my son, who lives in Seattle. I don't drink coffee, so it was O.K. Always busy, it seems, and a lot more knitted caps than you'd see in some other places.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back