Starter camera.

matt1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey. im new to this forum and im just starting to get into photography and im looking to get a camera. i dont want a really good one i just want one that will be OK. but i dont want to spend alot on it as it will only be my first camera. if anyone could give me any ideas on what i should have a look at that would be great :D.
thanks

Last edited:
How much were you looking at spending? And what is the thing that you are looking forward to shooting the most?

i was looking to do photos of beaches and waves from the land and i dont want to spend too much just a cheap one to start off.

Last edited:
All of us on this forum (ok, most of us), want to help you make a decision, but we need to know what monetary amount you mean by "cheap". What is cheap to one person might be a $10.00 disposable camera. What is cheap to someone else might be $1,000. Everything is relative. If we have a physical number that you are happy with, we can make some good recommendations.

-Andy

sorry. around $500 would probably around the amount of money im willing to spend

An entry level DSL will allow you to take some great pictures and allow room for growth, All of the top brands make good entry level stuff. Hold each and see what feels best in your hands. If your photography interests continue, all will allow you to buy additional lenses for other types of photography.Some to look at are:

Nikon D40 with kit lens.
Nikon | D40 SLR Digital Camera Kit with 18-55mm Lens | 25420

Canon Rebel XS:
Canon | EOS Rebel XS (a.k.a. 1000D) SLR Digital | 2762B003 | B&H

Sony A230:
Sony | Sony Alpha A230 Digital SLR with 18-55mm Lens | DSLRA230L

You may also want to look at Pentax and Olympus cameras as well. You will find that Canon and Nikon are the market leaders, but Sony is growing fast. While Sony, Pentax, and Olympus don't have as many choices as far as lenses go, they may offer more features for the price. Canon's lenses are generally less expensive than Nikon's. Nikon makes really good entry-level lenses (kit lenses) that have good optical properties. It comes down to deciding what feels the best to you.

Once you decide on one, read the manual and go out and start taking pictures. Post them on here and your skills will improve quickly. Most importantly, have fun!

-Andy

thanks heaps. ill look into those ones a bit more and go and check them out at a local shop. :thumbup:

thanks that camera looks pretty good and easy to use. ill have a further look into it.

Just get the Nikon D40, D60, or D3000.

If you go Canon get the Xsi.

Think that you are not buying a camera but a system do you like Canon the 350D is a good camera 8 Mpixels...

The Xsi is giving you better 12.2 Megapixels and have a better kitlens

Last edited by a moderator:
i got D40 and i love that camera, also wanet to get sony a200/230 but lots of people told me nikon is kinda better for $$$$$

Most reactions

New Topics

Back