Starter Lenses

damian_i15

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As a starter what lenses should I be looking at? without expending too much money. ;)

I believe most beginners start off with the kit lens that comes with most DSLR's.

18-55 lens.

im a noob myself so take my advice with a grain of salt lol But when I asked the very same question, a lot of people told me a great lens to get ahold of would be the "nifty fifty". the 50mm f/1.8

right now I got the one that comes with all the rebel xt kits which is really not that good. I will be taking landscape and nature....most of the time

I started off with a 50mm lens. Worked fine.

I then moved on to a 28mm, 50mm, 28-135mm macro, 80-200mm telephoto and 2x doubler some weeks after. Make sure you get a bunch of the standard filters (red, UV, polarizing, etc), btw.

Thanks, What about this lens? Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras for $120.00

that's a semi decent lens.
My recommendation is the 50mm 1.8. You will never have to much fun. Fast glass is a dream.

Stick with the kit lens.... as you shoot and learn keep in mind the following:

- around what focal lengths you enjoy shooting at?
- what type of pictures do you enjoy shooting the most?
- your budget moving forward.

What about the kit lens do you not like? Just because people post that it isn't a good lens doesn't mean that it is a bad lens...

Its like wine.... I'm a casual wine drinker so box wine taste just fine with my dinners. My buddy who is more of an expert can't stand the stuff.

Stick with the kit lens.... as you shoot and learn keep in mind the following:

- around what focal lengths you enjoy shooting at?
- what type of pictures do you enjoy shooting the most?
- your budget moving forward.

What about the kit lens do you not like? Just because people post that it isn't a good lens doesn't mean that it is a bad lens...

Its like wine.... I'm a casual wine drinker so box wine taste just fine with my dinners. My buddy who is more of an expert can't stand the stuff.

Thats so true.

Hey I'm a noob, no doubt about it. When I asked myself the same question I came up with what (for me) was a perfect excu..er,ah, reasoning process.

I looked around on the used lists, bought several incredibly cheap and undoubtedly crummy lens and went to work.

So you see, my crummy pictures are due to my crummy lenses.

I'm having a great time!!! (My wife asks me why I bother. It's that or paint the fence!)

Thanks, What about this lens? Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras for $120.00
Not so great if you mostly shoot landscapes. Wide-angle is best for landscapes.

By 'nature', what do you mean? Wildlife? Plants? etc

The advice about testing out your kit lens and figuring out what you use most is very sound advice indeed. There's nothing wrong with the kit lenses, especially for outdoor shooting.

If you like shooting landscape, Wide angle is best. stick with the kit lens for a bit. You can get some great shots with it! Learning your camera and how it works will affect your images more than new lenses or higher end bodies.

If you like shooting landscape, Wide angle is best. stick with the kit lens for a bit. You can get some great shots with it! Learning your camera and how it works will affect your images more than new lenses or higher end bodies.

Exactly. If I were the OP, I would just stick with the 18-55 kit lens and get a 50mm prime. Experiment with both to learn the nuances of photography and the glory of manual mode.

Most reactions

Back