Starting a photo story/essay magazine

Looking at your website and blog, what about developing your ideas further and continuing to look for freelance opportunites? Maybe it would work to take one step at a time, to work on getting photo essays published that express your vision and style. I've found shooting at an event can lead to making contacts that can lead to more opportunities etc. The idea of doing your own publication might be something to build toward.

On your website you mention greaser girl pin ups and different visions of the art (grungy industrial alt. style) - why not expand the 'different visions' concept? You seem so far to be showing a grungy sex appeal idea in photos so maybe take your concepts beyond that.

You seem to have creative ideas and might want to think about continuing to develop your technical expertise to be able to best express your ideas. As the saying goes, the devil is in the details - the photo of the girl in the mirror has just an edge of a wall showing on the left side that to me makes the photo seem crooked but not enough of an angle to seem intentional (and there's a shadow in the lower left that I can't make out but my eye seemed to go there). Some of the photos seem a bit dark or maybe a bit in need of adjusting the contrast, and in some I feel like the effort is there with the poses to make it sexy but it seems a bit forced; some of the ones using the framed poster w/reflected lights along the brim of the cap as a background to me work well.

Blogs are being done in abundance and as mentioned not only are print publications changing but I've seen online magazines fold in a couple of years; newspapers are struggling and changing. You seem to be developing a marketable style; it reminds me of what I've seen used in marketing for a local roller girls group and I could see your style working with not just models but maybe with some sports or events. I think there's potential with your style and maybe a variety of options for you.

It sounds like an interesting project, but I think you need to structure it around monetezation from the beginning. Look at airshowstuff online magazine, it tried to monetize after a year of free issues and got slapped down so hard I think it broke the founders pride into a thousand pieces. They were able to get good contributions in trade for press access to air shows, but werent every able to pay photographers or really make any money for themselves.

This is a very important point; you can't release a "free" magazine to gauge interest and then release your prime magazine with cost (digital or paperback) because the market that goes for free might well not go for paid and the fact that people now have to "pay for what was once free" will turn many away.

Looking at your website and blog, what about developing your ideas further and continuing to look for freelance opportunites? Maybe it would work to take one step at a time, to work on getting photo essays published that express your vision and style. I've found shooting at an event can lead to making contacts that can lead to more opportunities etc. The idea of doing your own publication might be something to build toward.

On your website you mention greaser girl pin ups and different visions of the art (grungy industrial alt. style) - why not expand the 'different visions' concept? You seem so far to be showing a grungy sex appeal idea in photos so maybe take your concepts beyond that.

You seem to have creative ideas and might want to think about continuing to develop your technical expertise to be able to best express your ideas. As the saying goes, the devil is in the details - the photo of the girl in the mirror has just an edge of a wall showing on the left side that to me makes the photo seem crooked but not enough of an angle to seem intentional (and there's a shadow in the lower left that I can't make out but my eye seemed to go there). Some of the photos seem a bit dark or maybe a bit in need of adjusting the contrast, and in some I feel like the effort is there with the poses to make it sexy but it seems a bit forced; some of the ones using the framed poster w/reflected lights along the brim of the cap as a background to me work well.

Blogs are being done in abundance and as mentioned not only are print publications changing but I've seen online magazines fold in a couple of years; newspapers are struggling and changing. You seem to be developing a marketable style; it reminds me of what I've seen used in marketing for a local roller girls group and I could see your style working with not just models but maybe with some sports or events. I think there's potential with your style and maybe a variety of options for you.

Thanks Vintagesnaps, you made some good points and I see what you mean more so now than before. It's one of those things I see but I haven't fully acknowledged until someone, you, said something. If that makes sense.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back