Starting a photography sales online business

Honestly I wouldn't pay for a Smugmug or any other similar account unless you were putting time and money into advertising yourself and at least making it a second minijob or main job. I say that because without those supports chances are you'll just throw good money into the commercial site and only make one or two tiny sales. You can easily throw up a simple flickr account (free) and put a "contact me for prints if you want any" note in the details (ps on flickr you cannot use their site commercially, so you couldn't quote prices, but nothing stops you telling people to send you a note if they want a copy).

If its just the very odd sale you're looking after then chances are those interested parties who are also able to buy (ie they have the money) will send a note to you to ask if you invite them to in the description.

Smugmug and other companies will give you a shop system - payment and such is all easily taken care of; but it costs you and its really geared toward the working photographer who wants a simple and quick website without having to pay for the design and production of their own (card payment slots online as well as hosting and the rest are not free services).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back