Starting an in-home studio....

kidchill

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.tripcphotos.smugmug.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, I've decided to undertake some portrait photography. I'm setting up an area that is about 10ft wide and at least 20ft long. I've already priced out muslin from a local fabric shop, but my question is related to reflectors and the dispersion of light. I would like to put large sized white reflectors on either side of the background to eliminate color-bleed from the rest of the house and keep the flash light within the range of the subject. In an attempt to save money I was wondering if I could use white vinyl shower curtain material as the side reflectors. My question is, will this give more of a hard light reflection/glare or more of a diffuse soft light reflection? Also, would the bounced light purely depend on the light source? I will be using speedlights with diffusers. I'm still learning about light sources and diffusion and all that. But, I thought I remembered that direct reflection can be hard for a hard light source and soft if from a soft light source....CHRiS

For a professional to use shower curtains... makes you look cheap. Colour bleed is not something thats an issue when you know how to light either.

Honestly, I think your technicals skills are lacking for a "professional protrait photographer" to be asking these basic questions.

Have some fun on www.strobist.com , get your basics down and then "go pro".

You are not quite ready to go play with the big dogs yet. But don't give up on your idea!

Considering I'm asking about the nature of light reflection off of vinyl substances...I don't think it's a "basic question." Flat white clothe is going to give a diffuse soft light reflection, my question is, will a vinyl coated substance give off a hard light or glare reflection... So, do you know the answer to that question?

Highly reflective surfaces such as shiny materials will reflect the specular highlights more and could cause a problem.

I have no problem with shower curtains in use. I had a friend who was a professional photographer and his reflectors were cardboard from packing boxes with white 8.5x11 paper stapled to them and the whole lot nailed onto wooden supports.

It worked. People get way too hung up on buying stuff and that it should "look" professional. Most true professionals use the cheapest studio stuff they can and spend half their time making stuff - usually out of cardboard or go dumpster diving at weekends for interesting props. It only has to look good and a can of spray paint over some gaffer tape makes a big difference!

So, do you know the answer to that question?

Sure! Give me the exact plastic compound. it's transparency level and it's exact thickness and I can tell you almost to a "T".

As far as people getting hung up on looks... I could care less what it looks like, but what will your clients (the ones PAYING) think? There has to be a certain level of professionalism and yes, you don't see many people renting chauffers with extended Yugos... but lots of people paying big bucks paying to be chauffered around in extended hummers and what not.

It all comes back to the question of knowing when to spend and when not to spend. I know people that have paid $1500/hour for a session... but had they seen a paper softbox with a shower curtain, would have walked out laughing.

Yah, it's about the material, how it's prepared, and where it's placed. My question wasn't related to what material to use, but whether or not a glossy surface would reflect light as hard or soft or if it was dependent upon the light source....I guess that was too much to ask for... And, I wasn't saying I was just gonna hang up shower curtains and be like yah that looks great. The idea was to take the vinyl and stretch it across supports which would look just like a fabric stretched out across supports but would cost less. It's all a matter of NOT wanting a hard light reflection.

Fabric would offer a softer light. That said, people use reflectors with aluminium faces. It depends on what you want and how you use it... more than what is used.

Use the material that gives you what you want. To know what you want, that goes back to what I mentioned in my first post.

I already defined what I want. Soft lighting. No hard lighting! So, would the reflective nature of vinyl (or polyvinyl) shower curtain material give a soft reflection if a soft light source were used. That's all I'm asking.

I already defined what I want. Soft lighting. No hard lighting! So, would the reflective nature of vinyl (or polyvinyl) shower curtain material give a soft reflection if a soft light source were used. That's all I'm asking.

very good question and creative thinking :thumbup:

personally i think it would give off a soft light especially since the source would be a soft light to start with.

why not make a small hand held reflector covered in the same vinyl and try it out?

Again, depends on the material. If the plastic was shiney, it would offer not only harder light but specular aspects as well.

Too many kinds of shower curtains to know... lol.

Don't use a shower curtain that has a design of a nekkid woman on it, like the one I saw at a home depot this morning... lmao.

Shower curtains are CHEAP, if you are dead set for using them... spend the $9 and try it out and see for yourself!

Screw the curtain. I'm too worried about hard reflections and glare. I talked to the fabric shop and I'll just go with some cheaper white cotton material and leave the muslin on the background.

I opened up the first link and though I am sure his system works for him... it is quite limiting, in fact, by him, purposefully limiting. He shoots using the same camera settings (nothing but F/18... lol) and has hard mounted his lights so it never changes.

If someone changed anything on his setup, he would be lost.

This is an excellent case of someone that knows only ONE recepie to a favorable result, and the moment you change anything, he is totally lost.

As a source of info, it is pretty good for a beginner, but man, no one eats the same food day in and day out... variety is the spice of life! :)

kidchill, I think you will like the results of your choice. Later on for a little change of scenery, you will add or change your backgrounds. Don't forget to post a few results. :)

kidchill,
There are some washable shower curtains, the kind you see in hotels, available for sale at Linens & Things, Bed, Bath, & Beyond, etc.

The material is very similar to the material used on soft boxes. Even if it doesn't work you'll only be out maybe $50 bucks for a few and they can always be used for their original purpose.

Good luck, you might also want to read this article I wrote.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/574439/how_to_start_a_photography_studio_for.html

Most reactions

Back