Starting my photography business

I'd be reading up on licensing, releases, insurance, taxes, etc. etc. I'd rather get informed and prevent potential problems as much as possible rather than have something bite me in the ass later because I didn't do my homework. I think there are a lot of decisions to be made on how you want to proceed and how to handle various situations or any problems that could come up.

Besides taking a look at SBA I'd look at your state's info. related to registering and running a business. There's business info. and resources for photographers on American Society of Media Photographers and other professional photographers organizations' websites.

Why the sarcasm? Is this not what this forum is for?

Hey look!

Someone is starting a photography business!

Man!

I bet no one has ever thought of that! There's probably like NO competition out there. It's a world for the taking!

Don't take it personally. Yes, for the most part that is what this forum is for, but I think you also need to get some expert legal help as well.

It's exactly what this portion of the forum is for.

Don't let the naysayers sway you. Don't believe that you need a business degree. You don't. Is it good to have? Sure. But it's not a necessity.

There's a lot to do, certainly, and you'll probably be surprised at how many people here will try to convince you not to do it.

Don't listen to them...

I am going to assume you are in the United States.
what you "need" for a "business" is pretty simple.
you need a tax ID (SS # for sole proprietorship) and a registered fictitious name if you are using one. that's pretty much it really.
if you have a storefront you will need a business license. some counties require a business license regardless of whether you have a storefront or not, but not all. (ours does not)

every client should sign a contract. even if you do the shoot for free.
there are plenty of "generic" contracts you can find online, but its always best if you have a business lawyer look it over.

Hey look!

Man!

I bet no one has ever thought of that! There's probably like NO competition out there. It's a world for the taking!

Everyone has their days. :)

There's a real point or two buried in there, though. It's very much the "in thing" for people to try to start photography businesses these days. You're swimming in a sea of marginally qualified competition pricing their time and product at below-cost levels. That includes people like me, who are actually halfway decent photographers, but cannot hold a candle to a true pro.

Can you do it? Yes.

Is it easy? HELL no.

Will you succeed? Maybe.

It's probably more about business sense than talent, but either way you need to go into this with eyes wide open.

Hey look!

Man!

Everyone has their days. :)

There's a real point or two buried in there, though. It's very much the "in thing" for people to try to start photography businesses these days. You're swimming in a sea of marginally qualified competition pricing their time and product at below-cost levels. That includes people like me, who are actually halfway decent photographers, but cannot hold a candle to a true pro.

Can you do it? Yes.

Is it easy? HELL no.

Will you succeed? Maybe.

It's probably more about business sense than talent, but either way you need to go into this with eyes wide open.
I thought you were a pro? wow. theres a let down. And here I was thrilled to have you critiquing my photos... :banghead:

(joking..joking.....)

Last edited:
I was a business owner for 20 years, with a business degree, but I would never start a photography business. Partially because I'm not as skilled as those that have their own business, and partially due to photography having no barriers to entry. Anyone can start a photography business, making it more difficult to start up and make a decent profit. But I believe that a photographer with great skills, a good business sense, and access to a good customer base can build a successful business.

I was a business owner for 20 years, with a business degree, but I would never start a photography business. Partially because I'm not as skilled as those that have their own business, and partially due to photography having no barriers to entry. Anyone can start a photography business...

What kind of business did you own?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back