Starting Out

One question though, since I had not thought about it while at the store just how heavy is that lens? Do some find it real heavy or heavy ?
The 24-70mm F2.8 L is nicknamed 'The Brick'...it's quite heavy, especially for a lens of this focal length & range. If weight is a big issue, the 24-105mm F4 L IS, is lighter, has a longer range and also has IS. Obviously, you loose a stop in aperture though.

I may have mentioned it before, but I would also consider the 17-55 F2.8 IS. It's a lot wider than the 24-70 but I think that it's a better fit for the crop factor of the 40D....for my liking anyway.

Well on top of that lens I was also going to purchase at least two other lens's. The F2.8 is the selling point on this one. This one from all I have read is one I think will suit what I like to shoot the most. Weight is not an issue, if it only weighs what a brick does its not so bad. I would like a something like 14-35 mm f1.4(the mm may be wrong). I am also looking at a 70-300 mm or a 70mm-200 along with a 100mm-300mm. Not enough info on the other lens to post I know, I have it around somewhere but most of these are not L glass and more the midrange price. I am still reading previous posts here and other online resources until I can figure out what I really need. When I get closer to making the final decisions on what other lens's I plan on getting I will post and get some advice first, so far the 24-70mm f2.8 L is the one I am most certain I want.

Wow you're serios, a Canon 40D, battery grip, and 3 L series lenses? That's some great gear. Let's just hope you reach a point where you'll utilize it fully.(not an insult, as I don't even think I'd be near 1/4 of the full potential of those products myself, that's pro gear my friend)

Get the 24-70 2.8 L that you mentioned, the 100-400mm 4.5-5.6 L, and the 16-35 2.8 L and you're set for life.

expeeeeeeensive though.

The worse vice is advice. That said, hello Toronto, Winnipeg here. I am a relative new comer as well, but what I have learned is LENSES BEFORE BODY. If a new xsi stops you from getting the lens you want, think hard. I have a xt -love it, got big hands so a 40d would be nice. I am currently looking. But true to the old saying I have had the same ?'s as you about lenses. THe choice I made is the 17 - 55 f2.8 EFS IS lens, 70-200 f2.8 IS, these cost 850 and 1300 used online. I love my two main lenses.

I also have a 28-135 IS which I no longer use, with the intention of a 24-105 IS to replace the 28-135 in the future. maybe a 100-400 someday. Check out http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ don't underestimate the IS factor.

You can pick up a used 30d for 6 hundred or less. my xt with lens filters, remote and bag will go for 350. so my advice as limited as my experience is is to listen to Big Mike and buy good lenses.

I am only decided on one lens thus far, and I picked the camera body that had the best overall feel and with the camera grip it just made it feel like a great fit. I looked at most cameras in the same range and the Canon D40 was it. I am not in anyway buying 3 L lens's lol. I need to get a good tripod, good camera bag, new media because I have lots of SD cards and now need to get CF, I need a flash and think for the cost will get a remote and may grab a mono pod. I had 5 years of SLR camera experience and took thousands of photos and did all my own developing but it was like I said along time ago and now have the time and money to invest in a hobby and this hobby I seem to have a natural liking for it. I go for day long drives and walks now to take photos with my Kodak Z710, so with some better equipment I would probably even get more involved than I am, I am not rushing out to buy anything, when I go drop my cash I want to be sure it is what I want. Anything I buy I use to its full potential, if not I would not spend a dime on it. I am still looking at used lens's and shopping around. I want my Camera New though, the one L lens I want I will also purchase new, the others come down to cost and need. I have been looking and reading about this for months before coming here, this is such a treasure trove of info and feedback. I may at some point get the one camera and one lens and peripherals and add to my lens later, nothing is decided but the body and one lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back