starting out

miki<3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
another beginner's thread.><
ive been into photography for a while and now looking to getting a dslr.
what do you recommend? ;]

im thinking nikon.
willing to spend 2000+ if needed. not too much though.

camera body and different lenses.... whatever i need.
im really into close ups. shall i buy macro lens? extension tubes? just close up lenses?

please be as specific in the products as possible. thanks in advance. ;D

-miki<3

I'm bias to canon as that is all I use. Nikon is great but wait for a nikon fan to post. You have pretty good options with a 2000+ budget. Rebel series will get you a lot of glass options. Come to think of it you are in a pretty good position to even get a 40d with several glass options.

What kind of shots are you interested in taking.

another beginner's thread.><
ive been into photography for a while and now looking to getting a dslr.
what do you recommend? ;]

im thinking nikon.
willing to spend 2000+ if needed. not too much though.

camera body and different lenses.... whatever i need.
im really into close ups. shall i buy macro lens? extension tubes? just close up lenses?

please be as specific in the products as possible. thanks in advance. ;D

-miki<3

You say that you've "been into photography for a while." If you're comfortable with the various photographic concepts, the Nikon D80 is an excellent buy. The only potential problem is that it does too much and will be overwhelming for a beginner. It's absolutely essential that you remind yourself to take a few moments whenever you power up the camera to check the settings still there from the previous session.

You will certainly need a macro lens. The one that I have is no longer available. Go to the Nikon web site to check the current offerings. Finally, you'll need macro lighting, such as the R1 system (again, check the Nikon web site).

nikon D80 kit http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/484235-REG/Nikon_9425_D80_SLR_Digital_Camera.html $850

Nikon SB-800 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/300467-USA/Nikon_4801_SB_800_Speedlight.html $315

Nikon 60mm macro http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/66987-USA/Nikon_1987_60mm_f_2_8D_Macro_Autofocus.html $395

Nikon macro flash http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/410481-USA/Nikon_4803_R1C1_Wireless_Close_Up_Commander.html $625

I guess we went a little over but it's close.

The only problrm you might have is the 60mm makes ou have to get pretty close to your subject but this would be an excellent setup for any beginner.

nikon D80 kit http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/484235-REG/Nikon_9425_D80_SLR_Digital_Camera.html $850

Nikon SB-800 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/300467-USA/Nikon_4801_SB_800_Speedlight.html $315

Nikon 60mm macro http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/66987-USA/Nikon_1987_60mm_f_2_8D_Macro_Autofocus.html $395

Nikon macro flash http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/410481-USA/Nikon_4803_R1C1_Wireless_Close_Up_Commander.html $625

I guess we went a little over but it's close.

The only problrm you might have is the 60mm makes ou have to get pretty close to your subject but this would be an excellent setup for any beginner.

The R1 is sufficient with the D80 or any other Nikon body with a commander pop-up. The R1C1 provides a benefit only if he buys a camera without a commander pop-up.

I'm not really into macro photography all that much but still wanted to be able to do some close-ups once in awhile. I didn't want the expense or hassle of carrying around yet another lens that I wouldn't even use that much, and also didn't want to deal with extension tubes either. So I went with a Canon 500D close-up filter for about $140 new from B&H. Very easy to take with you and pop on and off for quick macro shots when needed. I tried it out on my 70-300VR (with a very nice German made B+W 67-77mm step-up ring) which does about 1:4 / 0.25x by itself. The 500D took it all the way down to 1:1.1 / 0.90x, or almost full life size. I was impressed! It also gave plenty of working distance unlike the 50-60mm macros which you practically have to be right on top of your subject for 1:1 close-ups. Depending on what you're taking close-ups of, you might want a 100mm range macro instead, or even longer. Nikon has a 70-180mm micro which is great, but pretty pricey. I'm not familiar with Canon's macro lenses.

Anyways, I shoot Nikon but that doesn't mean anything. The best advice I have to give is to research macro lenses first and find one that you really like, and then get a body that will work with it. I haven't been overwhelmed by Nikon's macro lens lineup. At 50-60mm you have to get so close for 1:1 even on the new AF-S 60mm micro that you have basically NO working distance left. So then I looked into the 105VR micro which I thought would be better. But it has an internal focusing design that "cheats" on the effective focal length as you get down to close focus and effectively becomes more like a 60mm lens (and the 60's were more like 40's) and you still don't have much working distance at 1:1. From what I understand, the older designs are similar too. No clue if the Canon lenses are any different, but I've noticed that a lot of the lens designs between Canon and Nikon can be pretty similar. So this really turned me off to all of these which is when I said to heck with it and just got the Canon 500D close-up filter for my Nikon lenses :mrgreen: and can get 1:1 at 300mm on my 70-300 at a nice comfortable foot or two (didn't measure exactly) working distance. If you look around, there are lenses from third-party manufacturers (mainly Sigma and Tamron) that do 1:2 / 0.50x macro right in the lens or even better with no need for adapters. It all depends on what you want to shoot, though, and if you're able to get right on top of your subject or not. If you're shooting jewelry, a 100mm macro or even a 50-60mm might be just fine.

Buy one of these:

Canon:
10D
20D
30D
40D
XT
XTI
5D

Nikon
d50
d70
d80
40d
40dx
60d
d200
d300

Olympus
e410
e510
e3

Pentax
k10d
k100d
k200d

Sony
a100
a300
a700

mmm... i said i was "into photography" for a while, meaning i was rly interested and loved taking photos. but im still just starting to learn all the terms for the dslr. im still having a little trouble understanding the posts. xP

as for close ups, i would like some working distance sometimes. im not sure if this calls for other types of lens with a telephoto zoom...

i would also like some recommendations on basic lens. im interested in the distortions wide angles lens may give.oO

basically, i dont know what ill rly be needing out of all this... if you can get the same effects but changing different options. sorry if some of this makes no sense. xD

plz help. thx again.=]

mmm... i said i was "into photography" for a while, meaning i was rly interested and loved taking photos. but im still just starting to learn all the terms for the dslr. im still having a little trouble understanding the posts. xP

as for close ups, i would like some working distance sometimes. im not sure if this calls for other types of lens with a telephoto zoom...

i would also like some recommendations on basic lens. im interested in the distortions wide angles lens may give.oO

basically, i dont know what ill rly be needing out of all this... if you can get the same effects but changing different options. sorry if some of this makes no sense. xD

plz help. thx again.=]

Print my list out, cut it into pieces, then draw from a hat. I could tell you to buy a pentax K10d. It would work as well as some one telling you to buy a Nikon 40D or some one telling you to buy a Rebel XT.

There's no right or wrong answer. I have a bias with one of the above companies but with the information you've given us, I'd be doing no good in trying to convince you to purchase the brand I use over the brand some one else uses...nor would I really feel like nitpicking through the little things that make it better than the others but worse than the others.

Go to a store, play with the cameras, close your eyes and point to one. Buy it. Buy a telephoto zoom lense. Buy a wide angel lens. Make sure you buy the camera with a kit lens. Learn to take photos.

As you can see the recommendations for a camera body is all over the map. So, I wont cast my opinion. Being a macro guy, I recommend a dedicated lens. The key to good macro is lighting as well tho. So consider an external flash with your purchase.

If you are interested in "macro", "nature", "naked bunnies", whatever ... look for shot/s that you like and try to find out what shooter use. You may not duplicate the quality, but at least you will be a lot closer to knowing the equipment to buy.

If you go Canon ... 100mm f/2.8 macro is what I recommend. You can use it with any of the Canon bodies in previous reply.

i looked up some stuff and came up with:
nikon d80
Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC Macro
Nikon 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED IF Autofocus Nikkor Zoom Lens
Nikon Wide Angle AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Autofocus Lens

or Telephoto AF Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR

Kit with 18-55mm ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens
or Kit with 18-135mm AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens?

what does everyone think of this? =/
plz comment. thx.

Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC Macro ---good for landscape, protrait & macro works, this focual might be a bit short for all purpose IMO
Nikon 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED IF Autofocus Nikkor Zoom Lens ---- decent telephoto zoom for sports, protrait & anything that need zoom ^_^
Nikon Wide Angle AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Autofocus Lens ---awesome for landscape or for night photography

I 'd probably go with Kit with 18-135mm AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens as can be your basic for everything lens

Most reactions

New Topics

Back