Starting up need advice...

Lemmon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone its my first time around and I realy need some help.

Little about me:
I am 24 and living in Canada past photo exp. none I am web/graphic designer but photography I have only done few times in high school. So no real experience when it comes to this.

What I am thinking to do is take some photos and use them for my web sites and customers that I have will be able to buy them off me if they like them.

Money available for start equipment up to 2,000$ CAD so what would be suggested I realy need a camera that will be able to take photos in high resolution. Probably I am guessing I will only need a camera & flash.

I am not trying to sound stupid but I don't want a camera with a film and to develop my photos I need a digital with a card that I can just hook to my comp. and download the pics.

Thanks guys I realy hope someone will help me out.

Thanks once again

Welcome to the forum.

What will you be photographing? Not that that matters much for the camera choice...but it might influence which lens would be best for you.

A digital SLR camera is the way to go, IMO. The image quality is much better than a 'point & shoot' digi-cam...not to mention a whole list of other advantages.

The entry level DSLR cameras are very good...and will fit nicely into your budget. I'm a Canon user...so lets start there. The entry level DSLR is the Rebel XTi...very good camera, should be about $1000 CDN. Or, you could get the older version, the Rebel XT...for about $700, while stores still have them. The next level up, is the Canon D30...it's got a better body, with better ergonomics...but the image quality is on par (or just above) the XT. The newer XTi actually has more mega pixels and new technology like anti-dust sensor.

If image quality is a high priority...then a good quality lens will be your friend. The kit lens that usually comes with the cameras is OK...but it's not great. It's a good deal when bought with the camera though. There are several options....but it's hard to make a recommendation without a subject in mind.

For a flash, the Canon 430EX would be a perfect match for any of the cameras I have mentioned. It's about $350 CDN.

So if I were to put together a package...the Rebel XTi (with kit lens) is $1069& the 430EX is $339. That leaves about $500 for another lens.

You can't beat a prime (non-zoom) for quality:price ratio. The 50mm F1.8 is great and it's only $120. The 85mm F1.8 is great and it's $539.

You could skip the kit lens and get something in that range. I'm going to upgrade my kit lens to a Tamron 17-50 F2.8 lens. The large maximum aperture of F2.8 is much better than the kit lens...and the image quality is said to be pretty good.

As you can see, there are plenty of options...so more info will help.

All the price are from the local store here in Edmonton, McBain Camera. Their prices are actually pretty high...but they will price match to any price in Canada...and they have free shipping on orders over $1000. Plus, no PST if you are buying from another province.

I should also mention that Nikon also has great DSLR cameras. The entry level cameras are the D40 & the D50. The next level up is the D80...all great cameras.

Hey I am from Red Deer just down the hiway 2 from you :)...

Well what I will be using camera for is pritty much everything from shooting close up people to wild life outside... So i need camera that will shoot as good from close up as it will long distance shots.

I will use those photos on sites i develop and possible if I get good sell them as well :)...

Cheers

I hope you or someone else can put a nice package for me that I can go to BestBuy or Future shop to get.

thanks again..

P.S.
Where is this forum based from Canada??

If you need a camera for pretty much everything, then a DSLR is a good choice. Mike mentioned the Rebel XTi or Rebel XT, the Nikon D50 or D80, then there's the Pentax K100d, the Sony A100... all of these are digital SLRs. This means (among other things) that you frame a shot and focus through the viewfinder instead of on a screen like compact digital cameras. It also means the lenses are interchangeable. Therefore it's not which camera you choose that dictates whether shots are good close-up or at long distances, it's the lens. Mike gave some suggestions for the kind of Canon lenses to look for, and there are equivalent lenses available for other brands too.

A kit zoom lens will be ok to start with and will cover a range from about 17-50mm. This is equivalent to about 26-75mm if that helps. Now that obviously won't be much good for the long distance shots. For them you'll probably need something (most likely another zoom) that goes up to 200mm. And if you intend to do shots in low-light without flash or tripod, then you'll want a "fast" prime; a lens with a fixed focal length and a large maximum aperture (indicated by a small f-number), for example 50mm f/1.8. If you want to do really close-up shots then you may need a separate "macro" lens, or some extension tubes. If this isn't making any sense, my advice would be to do a bit of research on the following subjects: Digital SLRs, prime lenses, zoom lenses, focal lengths, depth of field. Most importantly read about aperture, shutter speed, and ISO, and their importance for getting the correct exposure. There's a bit of theory required to really understand what gear would be best for your purposes.

Thanks I will definitly read up some more and probably just buy a starter kit then if I need better I will ask again what to get to improve my shots.

Is there any stores that I can go to beside BestBuy and Future Shop that might be able to help me better in choosing the right camera for me.?

Thanks

Thanks I will definitly read up some more and probably just buy a starter kit then if I need better I will ask again what to get to improve my shots.
Good idea.

Is there any stores that I can go to beside BestBuy and Future Shop that might be able to help me better in choosing the right camera for me.?
There is a McBain Camera in Reddeer. 5129 - 48th street.
As I mentioned, their prices are on the high side...but they will price match. So do your homework. I've been checking a couple different stores; The Camera Store, in Calgary, has good prices. There is also Vistek, which is also in Calgary. Look up the price for what you want...and then McBain should match that price for you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back