Steals and Deals. Canons v. Nikons

there are fanboys on either side..there are pros and cons to either side as well..but i wouldnt put the xsi and the d90 in the same category

The D90 is probably best compared against the 50D.

As is always the case, head-to-head comparisons between the cameras produced by the different brands are a fools errand. The cameras rarely meet up exactly, and it's easy to make a camera look like a good or bad choice by the way you choose to compare it.

Nikons will generally always be more expensive. Canon can afford to price their items aggressively as they make more than just cameras. Nikon is a camera company. Period.
They also make binoculars...

Edit:
Its products include cameras, binoculars, microscopes, measurement instruments, and the steppers used in the photolithography steps of semiconductor fabrication.

Its funny how people bag on Canon cuz they aren't just camera specific, since when do printers have nothing to do with cameras? SO what if Canon/Nikon isn't just camera specific products..

I do like that the 50D has faster FPS shooting stills (important to me)

Some think the comparison for the 50D should be the D300

Last edited:
Thoughts?

I think you're looking in the wrong place. You should be looking at glass. Lenses are where you're going to spend more of your money. The camera body is just sort of a necessary evil (at least in the digital world anyway).

You might upgrade your camera body every 3 to 5 years, but those lenses will be with you for many years.

So do you want Nikon glass, or Canon glass? That's what you really need to be asking yourself.

this is what i've been reading, so i'm not going to feel like i'm being cheated if i go with a canon because of price.

i played with one last night..and the AF on a Canon is amazing compared to the Nikon.

That's correct-- in many cases the price is lower for reasons other than quality.

I am stuck in the same place as the OP. I have decided that the XSI and the D90 are in different brackets. Look here!
I still can't make up my mind with what brand has better lenses, flashes, yada, yada, yada... that I want to invest in.:(

I think you're looking in the wrong place. You should be looking at glass. Lenses are where you're going to spend more of your money. The camera body is just sort of a necessary evil (at least in the digital world anyway).

You might upgrade your camera body every 3 to 5 years, but those lenses will be with you for many years.

So do you want Nikon glass, or Canon glass? That's what you really need to be asking yourself.

That's really good advice. Some of the best advice in this thread. I think I'm starting to get a good idea of what I'm wanting to do. Just a little bit more shopping, but i'm leaning toward staying with Nikon.

Nikon is the superior machine.

I went and looked at some cameras today. Here's what I saw.

Circuit city (going out of business in my city) had a Nikon D90 with a 18mm-300mm lens for 975. I thought it was a steal.

am i the only one who noticed this?

i'm assuming you mean the 18-200mm?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back