Stephanie

Goontz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is my fiancee's brother's girlfriend (convoluted much?). She's been wanting me to do some portraits for quite a while but busy schedules and crappy weather haven't helped. She called me one morning (the weather was supposed to be rainy but turned out to be awesome), asking if we could do them that day. I had prior engagements to help another photographer with a shoot that afternoon, but I agreed to do these quickly. On top of that, it was around noon, so the lighting was really harsh. I certainly see things I'd like to change and do differently, but would appreciate some C&C on them rather than the back-patting I get from friends and family :greenpbl:

802645081_JWrMp-L.jpg

802645408_i6PEX-L.jpg

802646635_yvNMZ-L.jpg

802650147_3U7J5-L.jpg

802650437_PAZWL-L.jpg

Poor Stefanie! You can barely see her with what all is going on.

The last one would be tops if it wasn't so light.

Poor Stefanie! You can barely see her with what all is going on.

ditto...I'll also add that I don't like the distortion in 1,2 & 4 and the last one would be nice if you weren't in dappled sunlight. =(

Some of my exact concerns. Thank you both! I want to try and get her to do a re-shoot some time under more favorable conditions and such, but we'll see.

She (and others) like them, which is fine, but I know better. I wanted to post to get some other opinions and see if there's anything that even I'm overlooking.

Last edited:
the background is way too busy, for me

The first and second shot could have worked for you. Just pull her away from the wall about 10 feet or so. Then open up the aperture so you can get a more shallow DOF. This way the background could have been a nice soft blur of colors to shoot against.

I like 2 a little, 3 more than 2, and 5 more than any of them. As far as sunlight, I like it shining on people even if it is dappled. Many folks seem to echo the same sentiments about dappled sunlight and I really never understand it, unless that part in sunlight is "blown out". Of course, a portrait in even lighting also looks good, but LOVE sunlight.

Where's Waldo? :biggrin:

I'm diggin the background, but she does get lost in it. Try pulling her away just a few feet and (if you have) hit her with some off camera flash to make her pop. Perhaps open the aperture a bit as well.

The background would work I think if she wasn't wearing such vibrant colors. You know, how a bride and groom kind of works when they have a graffiti backdrop. The contrast is cooler that way.

Thanks guys. I somehow completely blanked out and didn't think to pull her away from the wall while shooting, and it was painfully obvious to me later. If we end up re-shooting this location, I'll be sure to do that. I also thought about the idea of "if only" she were in more solid-color clothes.

It seems that the things that I noticed that I could have improved on and done differently are the same as you all are seeing. Thanks for the comments and ideas.

i liked them..1st one especially...but what do i know.. i like the way she looks part of the wall emerging...if she likes them does that not make them successful photos...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back