stil confused re 1 6mm fish eye vs 14-24 wide angle

bs0604

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I posted a similar question earlier but I am still confused. I think Nikon makes a 16 mm fish eye lens. I am trying to figure out the difference between Nikon 16 mm fish eye lens and their wide angle 14-24 mm set at 16 mm. Do they both give the same amount of spatial picture? And if so, then the only reason to use the fish eye is if one wants the artistic distortion of the fisheye?
If there is the same spatial info provided by the lenses, and I wanted a more wide view--is there such a fish eye lens to fit my fx camera (d800)?

The 16mm fisheye is a non-renticular lens, meaning it won't render all lines as straight. Only straight lines that pass through the center of the image will be rendered straight. The further away from the center a straight line is, the more curve it will appear to have in the final image.

The 14-24 is a renticular lens, meaning straight lines, regardless of where they are in the image, are rendered straight. The 14-24 will get you 114° to 84° field of views (90 to 61 on a DX camera), while the 16 will get you 180°.

The 16mm is an FX-format lens and will work just fine on your D800. You could also use the DX-format 10.5 fisheye in DX mode.

Last edited:
Hi 480sparky -- man, you got a great set up! I've been looking for a wide angle lens for my d5100 and they all seem to be really expensive. I've got the stock 18-55 and 55-300, so for me -- it doesn't really makes sense to get a wide angle unless it's 10 or maybe 14mm. When you look at the angle I will get, it seems like not a big diff -- plus potential soft-edging, etc. Can you throw some knowledge my way about trying to find something wider than my stock 18 w/out costing a fortune?

BTW: I do a lot of landscapes and really like playing w/wide angle stuff -- thanks!

Most reactions

Back