Still much a newbie

pinkstardust

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
While I've been taking pictures for about 10 years now, I've just started getting into the technical aspect of things.

I bought a Canon Rebel EOS K2 off of Ebay just this past summer and was quite pleased with it. But since I've started taking photography classes, my pictures are consistently turning out horrible. They're either too dark or too light (mostly the former), and it's entirely frustrating for me. I've been using no flash (since we weren't allowed to use the flash anyway), but even if the room is perfectly well-lighted, everything still comes out looking rather dark.

Just recently, I used up two rolls of film (ISO 200 - my current teacher wants us to use slower ISOs) as I needed to tell about myself in 30 pictures. Long story short, I got them developed, and out of the 48, I only got 28. Out of those 28, most of those are either too dark and/or have fragments of other pictures where they aren't supposed to be, making roughly 5 even remotely usable. I can change apertures/shutter speeds, but regardless, my camera says it is perfectly exposed and I still get mostly too dark pictures if taken indoors and with a good amount of lighting. (I may add some scans later of these pictures too if I get a chance).

I'm going to go to a repair shop this morning to get my camera checked for shutter speed and aperture accuracy (as my teacher told us all to do), and possibly talk to the repair guy and my teacher about it, but I was just wondering if any of you had any suggestions for me in the meantime? I'm considering buying a Nikon D50 dSLR to use instead for this class if I need to.

And a total n00b question - if I were to buy said Nikon camera, would my Canon lenses work with it too?

Thank you so much! :heart:

The only part I can answer definitavely is your Canon lenses will not work on a Nikon body. As far as your exposure problems go I think if your cameras meter is showing your photos are properly exposed and the prints are coming out dark yes I would gey my camera checked. Another possible route is to check your negatives if they look properly exposed your lab may be printing them too dark.

Welcome to the forum.

What type of film are you shooting? Color Negative? B&W? Slide (positive)?
and where are you getting it developed? It could be your camera but it may also be in the development or printing stage as well.

Having your film camera checked would be a good idea.

As mentioned, you Canon lenses will not work on a Nikon camera. Fortunately for you, Canon makes great Digital SLR cameras, if that is the route that you want to go. Check out the Rebel XTi or the older Rebel XT if you can find one.

NIkon or Canon, you need a DSLR. You can have instant feed back, use the histogram to check whether you got the exposure correct and a lot of other stuff. (not to mention being able to use photoshop with out having to scan your film.)

And yes, it sounds as though you current camera is hosed, but did you have any one in your class check it?

mike

Thanks all for your replies!

Big Mike, I'm shooting with Color Negative film (Kodak Gold). We'll be converting our pictures to B&W later for the class on the computer though. I've been getting it developed at Walgreen's since it's right across the street practically, but my teacher mentioned they don't do the best quality pictures, so it would be better to go to Costco or Sam's Club (if money is an issue, otherwise Corporate Color). I went to Walgreen's for these latest batch of pictures anyway because of the fact that I honestly didn't know where a Costco was and I didn't have a whole lot of time, but I plan on getting my pictures developed at Costco from now on.

Mike_E, Yes, I know all the wonders of a digital camera. I used to own one (though it wasn't a SLR). I say "used to" because of the fact that I lost it a couple of years ago and simply have no idea where it went. I just don't remember. lol. I bought this film camera because from the course description, the class was supposed to be a darkroom class. I got to the class, and found it wasn't. They changed it so you can only use the darkroom in classes later on, and the two beginner classes (103 & 104) you could use either a digital or a film camera.

I haven't had anyone check the camera as of yet because I had just thought the problem was me and that I could fix it, but after trying everything I could possibly think of, my indoor pictures are still coming out too dark. :confused:

I'll see what the repair guy and my teacher says! If nothing else, I may just have to drop out of the course until I can get a better camera. :) Thanks!

Hi again, you didn't say how large a city you live/work in but if there is a camera repair person around, I would think it highly likely that they would have used film cameras for sale there. Also, a Full service camera shop might just do as well. And too these would have (i hope) checked out the camera before offering it for sale.

good luck,
mike

I've never had any problems with my Canon Rebel k2, but you should get it checked out, and if nothing seems to come up try a different photo lab, from my personal experience working at a photo lab sometimes you can get monkey's developing film.

You may not be loading the film correctly.

Get the camera looked at.

I am loading the film perfectly fine.

I took it to the shop, and I was told that my camera is accurate enough. I asked about the issue with my pictures, he did some thing with it, and said for low-light situations it's off by half a stop. So I'll try that out and see what happens.

And I only went to this camera repair shop because of the fact that my teacher told us to do so for those of us who are using film. There, it only costs $5 to get it checked out just as long as we mention we're taking his class. Anywhere else, and it'd be about $30 or more.

I'll just try what he suggested and see if my pictures come out any better or not. I really hope they do.

Are you using print or slide negs? You should have a Lot of latitude with print and 1/2 shouldn't make any difference. If slides then 1/2 could indeed be what puts you under, or at least from what I've heard as I always liked to hold a print rather than set up a slide show.

mike

Most reactions

Back