Still trying...C&C

Never thought you for explaining it to me, and never even thought about using the dodge tool.
What is tonal cluttered? 1) I don't know how to straighten the horizion, since is taken on the top of a mountain. I may have taken the photo in an maybe another angle. #2, You are correct. It is too balanced to the right. 3, is over exposed, that is what I am talking about. I can't seem to get it just right. If I lighten the photo, then other areas are too dark. 4) is too cluttered, but I loved the building. How would you have shot this photo to make it appear less cluttered? A house was in front of it, so should I have taken it from another angle?

Designer, I want a balanced black and white photo. I am going to continue to practice.

Tonally cluttered means you have a lot of the same gray scale values that are in overlapping parts of the image, which makes it hard to differentiate the different parts of the photo. The leaves and fence blend in with the barn because of how close all the tones are.

You can straighten an image in post processing. Use the back horizon as your guide.

Use selective dodge and burn to lighten or darken specific parts of a photo.

Now that is what I am looking for! I am using some burning from now on. Thx U

Thanks, to all of you! I have learned, and while PP my next photos I am going to try your suggestions. Unfortunately, I can not retake these photos. They were taken about 100 miles from were I live, but I have new procedures I can use on further pics. I have learned, and I will continue to keep trying until I get it right. I hope to buy a wide lens within a year. I have to buy equipment one piece at a time, but that is okay, because I am using this time to learn my equipment and practice shooting.

Very intelligent approach. A bag of lenses doesn't take good photos.

I have a "bag of lenses" from my Nikon film days that sit in the bag.
I'm knew to digital and very much still learning. I don't need to throw a bunch of other variables in the mix until I have a good solid foundation with my body and kit lens.

Thank you all! I have plan to use what you guys have instructed me about in future on black and whites. I have learned:)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back