adversus

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.adversus.us
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I always, always forget to stop down my 70-300 to try to squeak out some better optical quality. I think that's my big hinderance, and the fact that the 70-300 just isn't that stellar (good, but not great) at 300mm. Thoughts?

Untitled by adversus.us, on Flickr

3. Note the discolor at the bottom of the image is grass. This was shot over (and apparently THROUGH) some tall grass at the waters edge, from the top of a dike.

Per EXIF from flickR:
Camera Nikon D7000
Exposure 0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture f/5.6
Focal Length 300 mm
ISO Speed 100

Bump your ISO quite a bit, and shoot at a much faster shutter speed. Stop down the lens once or twice for optimal sharpness.

Yeap 1/200 doesn't seem enough for a bird in flight... The D7000 has great performance in higher ISO... Don't be affraid to go all the way to 800 or even more... You'll be able to freeze the action.
After that, it's just a matter of focusing correctly and stop down the lens a couple of steps.

You need 250 minimum to freeze motion in that kind of light, really.
They look great though, I look forward for more. Bump up ISO.

Thanks all.

I'm thinking of heading back out there at sunrise, if I can actually find the willpower to get out of bed that early on a Sunday ;)

Here's my trick and it has helped me immensely. I shoot a D90, but you have the same option. Try auto-ISO. Shoot in aperture mode. Set minimum shutter to at least 1/500th (or higher if you have bright light) set base iso to lowest (I think D7000 goes to 100?) (D90 is 200). Set max ISO to 1600 (or 800 your preference) Just stop down a little to 7.1 or 8. Experiment with bracketing +-.3 or .7 until you figure ou what you like. Have fun!

Flickr: krisinct's Photostream

D90, Tamron 200-500 @ 500mm, wide open f6.3, 1/1600th, -.7ev, iso 560

Most reactions

Back