Still use film only, but professionally.

photogincollege

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all. I know there was a thread recently about who still only uses film, but my question is a little more specific, is there anyone who still uses film only professionally? Ie weddings, studio, PJ work and if so what format and camera?

I am a professional. I don't get paid for weddings, though I do pick up the occasional windfall. I consider myself a professional in the same manner that I am a professional auto parts salesman. Not because there's a paycheck in it. But because I have been selling auto parts for 16 years. I am ASE certified and have learned more than I have forgotten and have forgotten more than most others will learn about selling auto parts.

This is how I am a professional photographer, it is in my professionalism. I am the local go to guy about photography, I have even brokered cameras for friends and hooked a couple of local artists up with galleries.

And I don't foresee digital capture in the foreseeable future.

:thumbup: I'll second that one. Though I did buy a Fujifilm P&S a few weeks ago. I figured that it'll come in convenient for home improvements and for quick sharing of crappy snapshots with family members back home. It will NEVER replace my FE, my ETRS, my Speed Graphic, or any of my analog babies.

Oh, and Chris, I was a counterman for quite a few years, too. Not ASE, however.

I know a few people who still have massive view cameras? Film just doesn't compare to that. Mind you they obviously take photos of landscapes and not of weddings.

I am a professional. I don't get paid for weddings, though I do pick up the occasional windfall. I consider myself a professional in the same manner that I am a professional auto parts salesman. Not because there's a paycheck in it. But because I have been selling auto parts for 16 years. I am ASE certified and have learned more than I have forgotten and have forgotten more than most others will learn about selling auto parts.

This is how I am a professional photographer, it is in my professionalism. I am the local go to guy about photography, I have even brokered cameras for friends and hooked a couple of local artists up with galleries.

Interesting description, but to most "professional" means that you put food on the table and a car in the garage WITH your photography.

It's one thing to stand by film as an artist, or as a local "expert," but it's another when you are running a business where the bottom line is far and away the most imporant factor.

I don't count because I use digital for some jobs, but I do know a few other photographers who still use film exclusively - mostly for high-end commercial large format work.

Best,
Helen

Kudos and hats off to all of you still using film and larger cameras! I am resisting conversion to digital, although I have been contemplating a Canon DSLR for my wife. (maybe she'll loan it to me once in a while)

I am not a professional, more of a serious hobbyist, however I sold a few pictures taken with a 4x5 film camera.

I use film for my professional gigs. 645 for portraits/model work and 4x5 for architecture an interiors. I know a few guys in NYC who shoot editorial fashion all the way down to 35mm, and a few studio guys who shoot in 8x10.

I like the way this thread went.

HEY NEAL! (sorry)

When did you graduate from sellin' spark plugs and what else is there?

About 4 years ago. I went to grad school. Now I'm a city planner.

I did work in parts throughout high school and sporadically in college. Was the night manager of a store after I graduated with my BA and did that for about a year before going back to school.

I miss it from time to time.

Most reactions

Back