STM vs non STM

sactown024

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Good Morning Everyone!

I was doing some lens shopping this morning and quickly got side tracked like always and came across some reviews on my lens that came with my 7D, the 18-135mm. I noticed that there is 2 versions, the STM and Non STM. People rave about the new version and swear its much better than the non STM model. I was now thinking about selling mine to get the new updated one but wanted to ask here if anyone has used both and noticed a difference in IQ/sharpness.

I am kind of shocked that the 7D wouldnt come with the new version.

Probably because the 7D was designed, boxed and put on the market long before the new version was released. They're not going to call back the ones on the market to change the lens packaging, etc.
Some times I wonder about your common sense! LOL!

Probably because the 7D was designed, boxed and put on the market long before the new version was released. They're not going to call back the ones on the market to change the lens packaging, etc.

this doesnt mean that the new 7D's couldnt come out with the new lens.... I am pretty sure they MFG 7D's still

this doesnt mean that the new 7D's couldnt come out with the new lens.... I am pretty sure they MFG 7D's still
The ones that are in the market right now have been manufactured MANY MONTHS ago.
They're not going to spend the big bucks to re-package the 7D with the new lens information on it-and Canon is not going to slap a taped on change to their description.
WHY would they put the more expensive lens in their kit when they can get you to upgrade to it?
You have to think from a good business stand point.

From Canon:"This EF-S lens supports the Canon EOS Rebel T4i DSLR's Movie Servo AF feature for smooth and quiet continuous AF during movie shooting by utilizing a new six-group zoom system and the adoption of a stepping motor and focus mechanism"

At this point, only T4i support the newer STM feature. I believe the lens can also be used in other bodies, but it is kind of strange for Canon to include the STM lens with a Canon camera that don't support STM.

STM is only used on the t4i right now.

What I have been reading was that the overall IQ of the STM is better but who knows.

"Let me be clear where I’m coming from: we never stocked the Canon 18-135mm IS lens because I felt it just wasn’t that good of a lens. I guess my summary would be that it has much better range than the kit lens but about the same image quality. If you shoot at f/8 it is reasonable.
I had heard that Canon had not only slapped an STM motor in the new lens, they’d also optically redesigned it. It’s still similar with 16 elements in 12 groups, but there had been some tweaking of the elements and the addition of one UD glass element and PMO (precision molded optics) aspherical element."

-lensrentals.com

Most reactions

New Topics

Back