Stolen Photo and how to determine compensation!!

mswiech

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not impressed that I find one of my photo's that I took used without my permisson. Looks like they used my photo in their flyer's, on their website and even had another company presenting the event use it on their site as well. The photo in question was used to help them sell tickets at $100 a pop and it even had the event sold out. #GRRRR

Now how do I go and determine what I should be compensated for? Like I said, the photo was put on the flyer and site in a way that made it be the most important photo. I don't want to show the flyer as I still am in the midst of written a letter to the organization in question.

Copyright laws here in Canada make it apparent that the photographer owns the rights to all photographs taken.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best advice we can give you is to consult a legal professional - ergo a lawyer.

Considering the use of the photo that you describe there is a chance that the amount you could sue for is considerable and worth hiring a professional. Remember you can pitch a case to most lawyers before you hire them; so take what evidence and proof you have with you. Sometimes you might find that you have to ask several lawyers before you find one who is suitable for your case and with whom you feel will be good enough to win your case.

As an additional point ensure that you've not uploaded the photo to any competition - web page or similar. Many competitions often contain rights grab clauses and some private company websites will do the same.

I would suggest you put out advertising folders or on the web, your rates for your photos as well as copyright notices and warnings. Although after the fact, it still suggests theft and how much money you lost, which is important in any law suit.

I don't know about Canada, but in the US, if the copyright to that photo isn't registered, then there isn't really much monetary compensation that is available to you. Yes, you automatically own the copyright, but there's not much you can do other than insist that they stop using your image. From what I understand, Canada's laws were recently changed to be much more like the US copyright laws. It's something else you should check or mention when speaking to a lawyer. And as Overread said, make sure you can list all the places you might have uploaded or shown that photo.

Considering the use of the photo that you describe there is a chance that the amount you could sue for is considerable and worth hiring a professional. Remember you can pitch a case to most lawyers before you hire them; so take what evidence and proof you have with you. Sometimes you might find that you have to ask several lawyers before you find one who is suitable for your case and with whom you feel will be good enough to win your case.

As an additional point ensure that you've not uploaded the photo to any competition - web page or similar. Many competitions often contain rights grab clauses and some private company websites will do the same.

Ok, well you used the word ergo so I would think that makes you more than competent enough to navigate all the in's and out's of Canadian copyright law.. right?

Lol

Well, ya, your probably right. Best bet would be for the OP to contact a lawyer.

Stop!! Just get a lawyer!! We know nothing! hehe

Get a lawyer. Also make sure you get all screen shots of any info you find on the web, get copies of any brochures you find, and any other evidence that would help your case before you speak with an attorney. I wouldn't contact them until you seek legal advice first. Good luck.

Ok, well you used the word ergo so I would think that makes you more than competent enough to navigate all the in's and out's of Canadian copyright law.. right?

Lol

Well, ya, your probably right. Best bet would be for the OP to contact a lawyer.
What's wrong with his use of "ergo"?

I'd send a letter and an invoice to their art director, or the person who likely decided to steal from you. A very large invoice, including a line item for royalties and licensing fees for the next 12 months.

Oh, and lawyer up. Yesterday. Get ready to scare them into a nice settlement check.

start at....

and work down from there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back