Stolen Print - How do I deal with it?

That is just it...this was not attached to the school. This was a private show. I don't want to pummel the guy (well, I do - but I won't), I want to pass his name off to the powers that be at the school.

You're right, there should be consequences. But if I can't find out who this person is, there probably won't be any aside from not having a print to enter into the show.

OK, the people at the show won't tell You who it was, but I'll bet they would tell a representative of the school. Ask your favorite professor. Theft is not "that" big a deal, but the school would probably roll over if it got out that they were condoning plagiarism! mike

You could try suggesting that if they won't tell you then they should give you assurances that the guilty party shall be reprimanded and prevented from using the facilities again for the misuse of them.

Good that you got the image back. I know it's already been suggested that you should use your own darkroom and that another has been opened now. But I'm surprised that given your concern when the image was stolen, that you left it lying around where it could be easily seen by numerous other students.

That one of them stole it is pretty low but I think leaving it lying around was fairly silly.

Hopefully you've learned a valuable lesson without too much or any damage being done.

That one of them stole it is pretty low but I think leaving it lying around was fairly silly.

Hopefully you've learned a valuable lesson without too much or any damage being done.

It sounds like he didn't have a choice. It was drying on a rack at school along with many other photos. The OP stated that he doesn't have his own facilities. :wink:

I agree with sending a professor, better yet, the head of the photography department, to talk to the people running the contest or whatever it was. I'd also let them know by hosting the photo they were participating in copyright violation and to clear their name, you'd like to know who submitted it so appropriate actions can be taken.

It is ridiculous to think that someone could steal something of yours, and when it is recovered you aren't allowed to know who it was.

I would certainly want to know and would not stop until I found out who had taken it, pushing legal action if that's what it takes. Theft is a crime no matter what way you look at it. No reason to shield the guilty.

It sounds like he didn't have a choice. It was drying on a rack at school along with many other photos. The OP stated that he doesn't have his own facilities. :wink:

I realise that...but i think given the nature of the image it would have been advisable to ask a professor/lecturer if the image could hang where no one else could get it. :)

Lesson learned for me on what to do if I see a print of mine stolen....

Don't say a word. Just sit back in the corner until the guy comes to pick it up so I'll know who he/she is :)

wow. This is a crazy story. I can't imagine the nerve it takes. It's one thing to steal it as a perv... that's real gross and probably quite embarassing and unnerving for your model.
But to pass it off as their own.... wow. I always thought there was an unspoken cardinal rule between not only photographers but all artists in general.. you DO NOT STEAL SOMEONE ELSE'S STUFF!!!!

I would be tempted to follow this to the full extent of the law (if one applies where you live). Bring their name out and totally ruin their reputation.
That kinda revenge would be so much sweeter than giving him a broken nose.

Did you contact the police
I think the contest was unwittingly committing a criminal act by publishing your photo without your permission.
The person that sent in your photo must have signed a paper stating that this was his own work. Unless the contest director can show that to the police, I think that they are liable. And if they show it to the police, the police will know who submitted under your name.

The thing to do now is to get over it and get on with your life. You did what you reasonably could, now forget it. Don't let this screw up your creativity.

Did you contact the police
I think the contest was unwittingly committing a criminal act by publishing your photo without your permission.
The person that sent in your photo must have signed a paper stating that this was his own work. Unless the contest director can show that to the police, I think that they are liable. And if they show it to the police, the police will know who submitted under your name.

Im sure they will give over the kids name before taking the hit for this one. Copyright violation isn't a minor thing anymore. Napster anyone?

Cool! I am glad you got the photo back. Thank someone for small miracles. I think homeboy has "egg on his face". There is many different kinds of justice. Keep it moving in a positive direction.

Love and Bass

Most reactions

New Topics

Back