Stop it, just stop it.

ferny

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.blueyedmuffin.co.uk
I'm fed up of record companies finding random people, sticking them together and saying "we've got the hottest new group". On their own these people couldn't fill a stadium. They may be able to do most of the scales but they certainly can't put any emotion into the lyrics. That's why they're in a group, harmonies sound better. It's also the reason why the music is all made on a computer and the voices are edited slightly to make them sound better. I feel sorry for these people to a certain extent. They're going to press a couple of singles then be dropped by the record companies. If they're very lucky they may be able to get a couple of albums but once the kids decide they're boring they're screwed. They'll forever be deluded with their own grandeur, "I was in a band me..." and won't be able to get a proper job because "they were in that band, what was it called?". Still, they knew that when they signed the contract didn't they.
I'm fed up of record companies fleecing children out of their money with rubbish. I know kids like this kind of music, but there are too many of these talent less idiots floating around. Still, it does give the companies an excuse not to take risks with new music and blame poor sales on people downloading music doesn't it.

:grumpy:

Well us consumers are partially to blame aswell. We're the ones who get bored with the current talentless 'music' and so we lap up the next 'best' thing the companies pump out.
Which makes me think that programs like Kazaa and Napster are sort of doing the record companies a favour. Maybe they'll start to realise that we are stealing this music because we know it is **** and it'll be old news in a weeks time so we're not going to waste our money on it. Maybe if the record companies see their sales drop (which they haven't by the way) they might start putting out some decent stuff. But they probably won't; they'll just release the next 'hottest group'.

I absolutely hate it when record companies say "the new hottest group". They're not the new hottest thing. They're doing exactly the same thing as the band before them. Why don't people see this? Especially in the world of rock, it seems every new rockband is the band that is going to revive rock, like they've found some new magical rock formula. Do you remember how much hype there was about The Vines? Fark, they weren't anything special but somehow they acheived god like status.

I give up. I'll just stick to my slighty strange, and original music that's not influenced by advertising - but only by my ears.
Thanks for the vent.

Maybe if the record companies see their sales drop (which they haven't by the way) they might start putting out some decent stuff.
Record sales have dropped a huge amount here. That's why this weeks chart now includes downloaded music. :shock: I can't remember the numbers but sales have plummeted in the last few years. And the companies refuse to accept that by pumping out mindless crap they're harming themselves.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/4454803.stm
http://www.theofficialcharts.com/

They won't stop the way they choose to "promote" the "next big thing" as long as there are enough people who (literally) buy into it. Truly, all they care about are sales. It's been that way since The Pendletons were forced to change their name to "The Beach Boys" and pose with surfboards because they lived in California and had a few songs with lyrics about the beach.

One of my musician friends has a favorite review about one of his releases: "Melancon should have absolutely no problem getting screwed over by a major label." :lmao:

The truth behind that statement is pretty nauseating.

It's depressing that the whole music scene has sunk to the level it's at now. it's not about writing awesome music or albums that will be remembered for decades, it's about guys in suits cashing in on the easily manipulated young generations that rush out and buy the singles (artists such as Nitty and the like stuggle to write a full album these days), play them to death and then move onto the next 'generated' piece of untalented crap the 'suits' push out onto the shelves!

Good bands these days are getting harder to come by - bands like Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Cream... the list goes on. I personally don't think anyone will ever write another track that would top classic and timeless songs like Stairway to Heaven, Brick in the Wall and Smoke on the Water because people don't have time for that kind of talent anymore.

It's a sad fact but music like that probably won't ever return and just like war veterans - they'll all be gone some day. :(

I personally don't think anyone will ever write another track that would top classic and timeless songs like Stairway to Heaven, Brick in the Wall and Smoke on the Water because people don't have time for that kind of talent anymore.
I wouldn't say that. Other than music changing it'll depend on where you go to find new music as to whether you'll hear something you like just as much. Radio and charts are full of pop (just like always) and there are fewer places to hear new music which isn't as "poppy". I hope I'm making sense. I'm tired and I've got a headache.

I'll have to disagree with there never being another 'classic'. I mean look at Radiohead and their classic 'OK Computer' album or 'The Bends' even.
Maybe other the 'classics' of the future won't be worldwide successes simply because the market is saturated. I know that in Australia we have many memorable bands who will last for many many years to come, like 'Crowded House'. And what about "The Wiggles"? I'd love to see someone try to argue that they're not a classic.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back