Stopping off color occuring when shooting through glass

RONDAL

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I decided tonite to start experimenting with some fun ideas i've had in my head.

One such idea involved wine glasses. Problem I am finding however is you get a weird color change as you shoot through glass. Any way to avoid this? I would usually just adjust the exposure if it was straight glass, but because my glasses have colored contents it is not as easy.

Your thoughts?

3970987234_4aaeea20b5.jpg

best viewed on large to see the discolouration im talking about here;
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2522/3970987234_4aaeea20b5_b.jpg

i have. no luck.
what i would like is the outline of the glass still visible, but the background seen through the glass to be whiter, and not off-white as seen above.

i have. no luck.
what i would like is the outline of the glass still visible, but the background seen through the glass to be whiter, and not off-white as seen above.

I know what you mean. How are you lighting it? What equipment are you using?

Desaturate and lighten it in post? I know it's a bit of a cop-out, but it'd work.

Depends on your budget. Get some very fine crystal glasses and you should be good.

From the looks of things the off colour you get is the fact that not all glass is equal. Your wine glasses are unlikely to be made of the same purified silica that your camera lens is, nore is it anti glare coated. Which also means it's not perfectly translucent.

front/top is done via a reflective umbrella above the subject and slightly in front of it.

have a flash behind and below to blow out the wall.

front/top is done via a reflective umbrella above the subject and slightly in front of it.

have a flash behind and below to blow out the wall.

Try taking down the umbrella about a 1/2 stop and increasing the background light by a 1/2 and see if that helps, if it does then you can make corrections until you get it where you want it. I hate to tell you but I have shot this type of thing on film and had no problem with it. But that was a long time ago.

you can also light from below the glasses. put them on a pice of plexiglass between two stools and put your light right underneath shooting up.

I would suggest polarise it up, then use a light meter to get exposure from behind the glass. Then bump it up a few stops to blow it out.
Or in photoshop select via channel masking, to only select the darker parts of the glass.
Hmmm google it or pm me for a tutorial.

Just two possibilities.
Play round, have fun. looks good already!

Most reactions

Back