Storage

Wow! I can see why I'm not progressing faster in my photography skills........................ I'm not taking enough pictures!!! I have a 1.5TB in my desktop, and have 1.1TB still free. After a little over a year and a half!!! I have a 500GB Maxtor external drive for backups, and a WD Passport 2TB that I really haven't done much with!

I'm with you. I back up all of my raw files, the intermediate tiff files and the final PS files and my two 500 GB external drives (one off-site) still have a little room left. I figure I'll replace them with 2 TB drives pretty soon, transfer everything and be good for another few years.

I used to burn DVD's, but haven't for a while, using thumb drives for some special stuff. Now that people have mentioned DVD back-up for hard drives, I may burn a few. BTW, I recently decided I wanted to work on an image from about 2001 and had no trouble pulling it off the CD (!!) that I burned back then.

When I was shooting a lot I'd create a folder and fill it with 4GB of images. Rinse. Repeat. At some point I'd burn a folder per DVD (hence the folder size). Everything was assigned a job # that I tracked with a spreadsheet. If I needed images later I'd look up the job, get the #, and pull the DVD I needed.

Now I just dump everything into my images folder and backup to Apple's Time Machine, Crashplan, and external drives. I figure between the three I should be safe.

Most reactions

Back