Stores for purchasing cameras in North America

Nejv

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I'm a swedish fella who's going to canada this winter to live there for quite a while,

i'm thinking of upgrading my konica 5D to a canon 30D or 40D, at first the plan was to buy something over here, second hand, to save a few bucks

but since the US and CAN dollar is very low compared to our currency, we save a load of cash buying our gear from you

i've come across a lot of cheap stores that are situated in the US, so the option of ordering isn't really excluded

but who isn't more comfortable buying the camera in store?

so my question is: which ones are the cheap electronical stores in canada that can compete with BHphoto etc(preferrably with an internet site, so that i can compare prices before i go) ? i'll be staying in whistler, close to vancouver

and also, is it usually a good idea to buy stuff off ebay? it's not a thing that we swedes usually do :p

thanks!

Navid

I can't help you with the store question (never been to Canada, and I'm just one of your nabours to the west...).

As for buying stuf on ebay.... This is a tough one, I know people who've made great deals. And I know people who got tricked. Before you make a bid on ebay, do some background checks on the person/company selling. Ebay has a great feedback system to weed out the tricksters. (This system can however be manipulated by people who know how.) So be cautious about buying something that you are not 100% certain about.

Best of luck.

B+H. I ordered my L from them. Just remember you'll be paying taxes anyways...

B&H is the store to buy from. They are located in New York City, and have an extremely good customer service, and are also one of the cheapest. You can place orders online. If you ever make it down to NYC you should step by that store just to see it's operation; it's as good as a theme park.

B&H is the store to buy from. They are located in New York City, and have an extremely good customer service, and are also one of the cheapest. You can place orders online. If you ever make it down to NYC you should step by that store just to see it's operation; it's as good as a theme park.

I actually visited it two or three years ago during a vacation in NY, wasn't very interested in photographing at that time though, i think my father was looking for a lense or something

Well anyway, what if you live in Canada(British Columbia) and order from BH? Would i have to pay any taxes doing that?

I cannot remember how the tax thing works, but in NY I'm guessing about 8%, If it on the Canadian side I think that its more like 15%. Maybe someone can give some confirmed info here, I'm just guessing based on Typical US sales tax and the one time I visited Canada.

If you buy mail order from B&H and the delivery address is in Canada you will not pay New York State sales tax:

"We do not collect tax for orders shipped out of New York State. Purchases in our store are subject to an 8.375% local sales tax. This tax is not a VAT, and cannot be recovered by non-USA visitors when returning home."

Canadian tax and/or import duty may be payable - unlike buying from B&H from outside the USA, I have no personal knowledge of that. Here is some info from the Canadian Border Services Agency.

Best,
Helen

Adorama is also an option, also from New York City.

I actually visited it two or three years ago during a vacation in NY, wasn't very interested in photographing at that time though, i think my father was looking for a lense or something

Well anyway, what if you live in Canada(British Columbia) and order from BH? Would i have to pay any taxes doing that?

I know that when you order online, many times you only tend to pay local taxes of where you live, and not where the store is located. I'd try to add the specific item to your "shopping cart" and see what taxes are charged. You can also contact their support and ask. They tend to respond in a very timely manner.

Hakimata,

It is not usual for the vendor in one country to add import duty for another country. When I have been outside the USA and bought from B&H the import duty has been collected* by the carrier in the country the goods are being delivered to, it is not collected or billed by B&H, they have nothing to do with it, nor are they liable for it.

"B&H is not responsible for and can offer no specific advice on import fees, duty, Customs or taxes that you may be charged when your merchandise reaches you and urges you to consult your local government import office with any questions.'

There's no harm asking them though. I'm on my way there, so I'll ask.

I suggest posting another thread with a title like 'Import Duty on Mail Order to Canada from USA?' Somebody on the forum must have first-hand experience.

*If it is collected. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. If import duty is payable, the carrier will not hand over your goods until you have paid it.

Best,
Helen

Hakimata,

It is not usual for the vendor in one country to add import duty for another country. When I have been outside the USA and bought from B&H the import duty has been collected* by the carrier in the country the goods are being delivered to, it is not collected or billed by B&H, they have nothing to do with it, nor are they liable for it.

"B&H is not responsible for and can offer no specific advice on import fees, duty, Customs or taxes that you may be charged when your merchandise reaches you and urges you to consult your local government import office with any questions.'

There's no harm asking them though. I'm on my way there, so I'll ask.

I suggest posting another thread with a title like 'Import Duty on Mail Order to Canada from USA?' Somebody on the forum must have first-hand experience.

*If it is collected. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. If import duty is payable, the carrier will not hand over your goods until you have paid it.

Best,
Helen

Hi Helen,

I'm not referring to import duties, but solely sales tax (different from import tax). I know that when vendors, withing the USA, ship to other states they tend to either waive the sales tax, or charge sales tax that is for the place of destination. In case of Canada I don't know what sales tax they will charge. That's why I advise to contact support.

Cheers,
Paul.

Paul,

The sales tax issue was all sorted out in post #8 wasn't it? B&H do not charge it for out-of-state mail order sales. Therefore I assumed that you were referring to something different.

As promised, I asked 'Customer Assistance' at the store if they happened to know what happens to their mail order stuff when it reaches Canada. I'm sorry I asked. The person did not know and shouldn't have been expected to know. I should not have been so dumb as to think that they might know. Some of the staff at B&H have a seriously bad attitude towards the customers. Thank goodness I make all my large purchases elsewhere, for less money.

Best,
Helen

Thanks for all the help, exactly who do u buy your gear from? :D

Most reactions

Back