Storing and backing-up photos

Sardine

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How and where do you store your photos?

I have a 500GB external harddrive with all my junk on it, including my photos. Recently, I had to reformat it, so I had to find a place to put nearly 300GB of stuff. Was a mission, but at least I've FINALLY got back-ups of my precious photos. The back-ups are on DVD-RW's, so I can continue adding to them as I take more photos.

What do you use? What do you reccommend? I'm thinking of buying another harddrive that I'll use for just my photos.

I don't use burnable media anymore. Found that it didn't hold up as well as advertised...after about a year and a half data was becoming unreadable. Was having to reburn my CD-Rs every year. The high humidity here may have contributed to that problem.

I backup to external hard drives. I make at least 3 backup copies of my photos. The price of 1 TB HDDs is below $100 now so the cost factor isn't a big deal anymore.

I would agree that a couple externals is the way to go. I will never hurt to have a back-up of the back-up. Even better if you can store a copy some where else, Like in a saftey deposit box or a friends house evene a detached garage will work, you never know when and where fire might strike.

I burn one DVD (have learned that these do not last "forever" :( )

Copy to 2nd computer.

Copy to two seperate external Seagate FreeAgent Go drives - I use a 500 and a 750. Today you can get the 1TB for close to $100 which is about what I paid for the 500GB.

Also upload to Flickr and Costco.com - not sure if they allow me to retrieve though.

I use an external that I run backups on everyday (if possible) then put in my fire and water-proof safe. I also have an account with mozy.com and use that for a last-resort backup (I'd hate to see how long it would take to do a complete download of my 500GB of data if I had to).

I just got a 500 gig external from ecost for $59.00 with free shipping. Every year I burn all my photos from that year to disk(s) and keep them in my gun safe. Plus the backup now on the external.

4 TB SAN RAID 1 (mirrored) so really 2 TB
1 TB drive that i keep in my gun safe and back up the really good shots/important stuff

2 250gig portable drives that i keep with my laptop so i can always have 2 backups when i am away from home.

And everything on like 3 computers (2 PC's, 2 laptops, and the Imac)

I really need to take a week off of work and sort threw all this crap! I must have like 10 80gig HD's sitting in a closet!

I'm thinking about getting a 1TB internal harddrive, then using my 500GB external for back-ups. I'd feel more comfortable if the 1TB was external, but I can't afford it right now (live in South Africa). Ideally, I'd like a 1TB external, and two 250GB externals, and my 500GB external. Or something like that.

Must admit that in theory, the DVD idea was great, but in practice it's such a mission!

What's Mozy like? I'd only get the free 2GB, but I guess it's better than nothing.

I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I'd like to add a second 500gb drive (internal) and do a mirrored drive....this would protect against harddrive failure...then do a 500gb external as a monthly backup to keep in my fireproof lockbox.

Problem is....anytime I get extra money I have new camera gear I want to buy...so spending the money on more drives hasn't been taking a huge priority....I guess it should before a HD crash...lol.

How and where do you store your photos?

I have a 500GB external harddrive with all my junk on it, including my photos. Recently, I had to reformat it, so I had to find a place to put nearly 300GB of stuff. Was a mission, but at least I've FINALLY got back-ups of my precious photos. The back-ups are on DVD-RW's, so I can continue adding to them as I take more photos.

What do you use? What do you reccommend? I'm thinking of buying another harddrive that I'll use for just my photos.

My response is in The Photo Forum on this post:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/beyond-basics/169386-better-safe-than-sorry.html

Ben :)

Most reactions

Back