Storing Big lens

jamesino

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ive got a Canon EF 70-200mm f/4l on my Rebel 400D and was wondering how you store it. It doesn't fit in my small camera bag. Do you guys remove the lens after each shooting session or just keep it on and store in a safe place? Also if you are driving to a location, do you keep them seperate while in the car or attached?

I keep them in there cases to and from shoots. Only mount them when shooting. They stay in an airtight safe with silica gel to absorb moisture when stored at home.

I switch lenses only when necessary, so I would keep it on the body. Less dust in the camera.

2nd vote to store with silica gel.

Oh no!!

Now I need to buy an airtight safe with silica gel.

Hmmm... "But honey! We can store your jewelry in there too!" (does that work?)

:lol:

The silica Gel prevents the formation of fungus. The other method to stop fungus growth is to always leave the caps off and expose the glass to direct sunlight while not letting anything get too hot.
Keeping the lens on the body is not practical for me all too often. When shooting wildlife, I might use a 400 f/3.5 and swap in and out a 2X TC-301. That makes for a long and heavy combo on a D# body. A D40/50/80/300 and a 80-200 is not a big load so it's not as big an issue. I like different perspectives when shooting and have not found that super sharp 9-1000mm lens at under 5 oz. yet. <LOL> So I guess I'll keep doing what I've been doing.

Oh no!!

Now I need to buy an airtight safe with silica gel.

Hmmm... "But honey! We can store your jewelry in there too!" (does that work?)

:lol:

A good airtight case like a Pelican is a much cheaper alternative if you only have a couple expensive lenses. I use one for a gadget bag/case.

Most reactions

Back