Storing Cloth Backgrounds

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
For those of us not fortunate enough to have dedicated studio space any tips for storing cloth backgrounds so they don't get so wrinkled or creased????

Yep... let 'em get creased. Most of my muslins live in their bags. When I take them down, I fold them loosely into just small enough a rectangle to get them into their bag. When I set them up, I stretch them taut on the stand using spring clamps. For really severe situations, I hit it with my portable steamer.

For those of us not fortunate enough to have dedicated studio space any tips for storing cloth backgrounds so they don't get so wrinkled or creased????

If you roll them up (instead of folding them) do you have the space to store them?

If you roll them up (instead of folding them) do you have the space to store them?

Probably could find space. Thought about using PVC tubing as a core. Then standing vertical in garage.

Last edited:
Consider a different type of cloth backdrop. Have you looked into the king-size microfiber blankets sold by the big box stores? Pretty good fabric for photography, available in different colors, different textures, easy to machine wash.

@Derrel I don't have any of the blankets, but I've picked up a couple of sheets, assorted fabric from the hobby store, a canvas drop cloth that I plan on painting or dyeing, and a couple of the printed vinyl. The problem with all of them is that folding puts creases in the material that is a pain to deal with every time. May be the only option, but curious how others handled their backdrops

clamps to stretch them tight on the background poles.
Cloth is a pain especially if you want to do full body shots. My long muslin backdrops are a pain for ppl to stand on and you get creases. Photoshop comes in more handy now than ever.

but I haven't used them lately. I'll be doing more outdoor shooting though or using my garage which has a taller ceiling.

They are only $35.00 and yes they are a photographic accessory that serves other purposes.

Have one already, works great. A word of caution, one should always be careful when using the other hand "behind" the cloth/clothing to help smooth out wrinkles when using the steamer, as it can burn the #### out of you. Don't ask how I know :02.47-tranquillity:

They are only $35.00 and yes they are a photographic accessory that serves other purposes.

Have one already, works great. A word of caution, one should always be careful when using the other hand "behind" the cloth/clothing to help smooth out wrinkles when using the steamer, as it can burn the #### out of you. Don't ask how I know :02.47-tranquillity:
Here's your sign..................:lol:
stupid3.jpeg

I already earned mine with oak leaf clusters from a professional steam press in a tailor shop I worked in during college.

Hey in my defense it seemed like there wasn't much steam coming out!

Hey in my defense it seemed like there wasn't much steam coming out!
Well that's better than I did, I had no defense.

I just stepped on the close peddle of our clothes press while my hands were still laying out the leg of a pair of trousers. It brought the top arm of the press down and it of course it was made to start steaming before it closes.

Most reactions

Back