storing spare batteries

florenceinitaly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

My camera came with an extra lithium battery when I bought it, it's brand new and never used. My friend recently told me that spare batteries should be stored in the fridge if unused because it helps to maintain battery life. Anyone have experience with this with camera batteries?

I don't see myself "opening" the spare anytime soon...

I think storing batteries in the fridge is kind of a myth. Or at the very least, it cannot apply to rechargeable batteries especially to Li-Ion Li-Po type ones.
I don't know your friend but I suggest you not listen to him.

Your spare Li-Ion battery should be stored at half charged (about 50% and most likely it will have that kind of charge in it when purchased.) in a dry room temperature. Not too hot and not too cold. Fridge!!! No way...
You should not store it for a long time at fully charged or fully discharged.

Li-Ion batteries are know with their very low self-discharge rate and will retain their charge for a very very long time. You treat them well and they will serve you the same way...

I think storing batteries in the fridge is kind of a myth. Or at the very least, it cannot apply to rechargeable batteries especially to Li-Ion Li-Po type ones.
I don't know your friend but I suggest you not listen to him.

Your spare Li-Ion battery should be stored at half charged (about 50% and most likely it will have that kind of charge in it when purchased.) in a dry room temperature. Not too hot and not too cold. Fridge!!! No way...
You should not store it for a long time at fully charged or fully discharged.

Li-Ion batteries are know with their very low self-discharge rate and will retain their charge for a very very long time. You treat them well and they will serve you the same way...
Keeping the batteries cool is well advised (60°F), keeping them cold is not necessary, storing them at about a 50% charge is good advice.

I would recommend using the 2 batteries in rotation. Li-Ion batteries have a shelf life of about 3 years, used or not.

Every time they are charged they lose a bit of capacity.

They should not be discarged to less than about 3 volts or they may no longer be rechargeable. Many Li-Ion bateries have an internal circut to prevent that from happening. That same internal circuitry also causes a stored battery to eventually discharge.

In short, "Use it, or lose it."

Most reactions

New Topics

Back