Storm shot that I'm not quite pleased with

BoblyBill

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have this shot that I can't quite get right. The lightning was added does it look fake? I almost like the un-lightning better but I'm not sure.

Un-lightning
540103688_51b1da1edd_o.jpg

Lightning
570206850_edfec8d3d0_o.jpg

The lightening does look fake to me. I softened the top and put a slight glow around the bolt but I would think that lightening would be hard to fake unless you were combining two images.
570206850.jpg

It' is really hard to add something that is so spectacular. Here is a shot that I took a while back. The lightning is hard enough to recreate digitally, let alone the extra light from it. I'd just leave the picture as is and not try to make it more than that. If you want a lightning picture, take a picture of lightning.

lightning.jpg

I like the storm shot (mabye the foreground could be lightened) but the lightning really looks fake.

Thanks guys. I agree with all that you say. I wish I was able to capture the lightning naturally, but with it being so light, I would have had to have a ND filter with me, in which I do not possess.

Just curious...but what techniques do you use to get a lightning shot? Long exposure and hope for the best?

(I like the no lightning version better...as it is more authentic)

Just curious...but what techniques do you use to get a lightning shot? Long exposure and hope for the best?

(I like the no lightning version better...as it is more authentic)

Well there are three main techniques that I know of.

1. Long exposure

2. Timing

3. Shutter sensor.

Long exposure is self explanitory. If the lightning is happening rather frequently, the shutter speed could be anywhere from .3s to 8s should be enough to capture lightning.

Timing is when you can find the pattern of the gap between strikes. If you sit there long enough you can find the amount of seconds between strikes and have a rather short shutter speed (expose for the sky for example). I have captured lightning with a shutter speed of 1/160th of a second because I had figured out the gap and knew the lighting would be strike just about then.

They actually make a shutter release that is sensitive to the difference of light and it will actually take a picture for you.

It just ain't right.

Oversaturation, filters, and wild contrast are one thing, but if you missed a shot, you missed it.

I like the original shot as-is with the exception of maybe a color/brightness/constrast push. The rainfall looks cool.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back