Straight Horizon

Sirene

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is there a way to know if the horizon you're shooting is right on an Slr?
Maybe with the grid ??

Thanks for your tips !

Not 100% sure.

If your shooting on a tripod, some have a built in level that would help.

+1 for the tripod levels. Either that or you could just make sure that the horizon is the same "height" on both edges of the viewfinder if that makes sense. Of course you can always fix a crooked horizon very easily in PP.

i usually try my best to make sure the Horizon is straight (unless i am trying to be creative) but if it doesn't turn out to be straight then I use Photoshop Lightroom to straighten my shots.

A long time ago I bought a level that fit in the hotshoe. Don't know if it is still available but it might be worth looking at Adorama, B&H, and stores like that.

Depending on where the part that needs to be straight is, I use either the AF points or one of the edges of the frame as a guide.

I just try to make the horizon (or edge of a building, whatever) parallel to the AF dots, or the edge of the frame.

My camera has the menu option to have a grid display in the viewfinder. At first I thought it was annoying but now I actually pay attention to how straight things are and use it. It's especially helpful when I'm peeking around corners trying to sneak a shot at an animal . I'm usually anything but straight on at the subject.

Is there a way to know if the horizon you're shooting is right on an Slr?
Maybe with the grid ??

Thanks for your tips !
Which camera are you using?

You could use the focus points as a guide.

You could use the top or bottom of the viewfinder as a guide.

On some cameras you can replace the original focus screen with a focus screen with a grid etched into it.

You can easily straighten a crooked horizon while photo editing.

Last edited:
Surley it depends where you live. For example, where I live it is horizontal. If I travel west it will be vertical on the left of the screen. If I travel east it will be vertical on the right of my screen and if I travel to Australia it will be at the bottom and upside down.
Sorry, I dont get out much.

For best results that dont involve levels etc, use AF points or activate your grid (should be in your manual)

Or, um, eyeball it to the best of your ability, use the little AF points in the viewfinder to help, and tweak it later. I really don't think this is a problem worth solving with new gear, but that's just my opinion. :-/

That's only useful when the camera is on a tripod. Can't really use it when hand holding unless you have somebody there with you to let you know when the bubble is level...which nobody would do.

That's only useful when the camera is on a tripod. Can't really use it when hand holding unless you have somebody there with you to let you know when the bubble is level...which nobody would do.

Agreed. I am so used to using a tripod when shooting landscapes that it seemed obvious to me that the OP also used a tripod.

Most reactions

Back