Strange Camera Problem... Ideas?

JTBing

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, my 3-month old Oly E-PL6 developed a new problem yesterday. It's been working fine. Now, however, when I press the shutter button, the shutter opens, but then the screen goes dark (as though the lens cap is on: no light comes through but the menu options are still visible) and nothing happens for a few seconds. After a few seconds, the camera shuts off (without the shutter ever closing). I can turn the camera back on and the shutter will immediately close. No picture is ever taken. I'm stumped. I updated my firmware and asked a couple people about it, but no one has any ideas. I don't know enough to begin to know what to do. I'm planning to send it in for repair, as it's still under warranty. I'm mostly disappointed not to be able to take it with me to PA this weekend.

If anyone has any thoughts, I'd be very glad to hear them. I know it isn't a memory card issue. I tried a different one just to make sure, even though it didn't really feel like a card problem.

Could be a battery problem. Not enough power to take the picture.
Did you try to reload it or do you have a spare?
Rudi

Last edited:
It could be a faulty battery, 'though most modern digital devices know when they don't have enough battery and simply don't work. If you have access to another battery you could try that (your local store might be able to lend you one to check) but my gut feeling is that this needs to back to the shop for a service.

Sounds like the battery to me. After only three months, I would be discussing the matter with the shop I bought it from regardless of which part was playing up.

Sent from my A1-840 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the responses.

I don't have an extra battery, but I may order one to see if that's the problem. I had just fully charged the battery before I put it in.

Most reactions

Back