Strange camera problem

Kilena

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum--I found it in my search for some clues to what the heck is going on with my camera. I am an amateur enthusiast, and I have a Canon Powershot SX10 IS.

Yesterday my camera worked fine. Today it doesn't. I turned on the camera and tried to zoom in, and the zoom would not work. I turned off the camera, turned it on--still nothing. Then I discovered the dial with all the shooting options did not work. It would go to some of the options, like landscape or video, but would skip over others. Or it would utterly ignore that I moved it and would remain where it was.
On the function set button, I tried to use the ISO, but instead it brought up MF. In fact every place except the left side brought up MF. And then, when pressing the right side while scrolling menu options, it would not work. I had to press the left side for it to go right! If I wanted to go to the right---well, I was outta luck.
No I'm not making this up.
It has been very humid, but would that effect it? My home has AC on. I even tried placing the camera under a ceiling fan for a few hours but to no avail. I replaced the batteries. I scoured the manual. I stared at it willing it to work.
*sigh*

Any thoughts or suggestions??

Thank you ahead of time. :)

It kinda sounds like it got wet. I don't think humidity would be enough to do that...

Did anyone else use it?

Does it have any signs of water being in it?

I would take the batteries & memory card out and open any doors that might be on it and let it dry out for a day or two...

That's all I can think of...

Thank you Josh!

Yeah I agree--the way it is fritzing out sounds like it got wet. But it didn't. I was thinking going out of a cool dryer atmosphere and into the mid 80's with mid 80's dewpoint may have caused condensation, yet there is no sign of it--well other than the fact my camera has gone nuts, lol! I have heard of humidity affecting some electronics, but I can't recall what kind or year.
But no one else has used it.
I'll try that--let it air out for a few days instead of just a few hours.

Most reactions

Back