Strange focus issue

AJHill

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Recently I rented a Nikon D610 body from an online rental website.
I rented the camera for the duration of the car show (one weekend) and returned [shipped] it promptly the following Monday, with no computer to review my photos until later.

Now, when importing the photos from my memory card to my computer, I realized that not only (unbeknownst to me) was I having serious back focusing issues, but the photos were sharper on one side than the other. (Most apparent when looking at headlights)

Examples:
Focus Issue 4 by AJ Hill, on Flickr

Focus Issue 3 by AJ Hill, on Flickr

Focus Issue 2 by AJ Hill, on Flickr

Focus Issue 1 by AJ Hill, on Flickr

These were taken using the rented D610 body and my personal AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G.
I never once dropped either the body nor my lens; they stayed in my padded camera bag when not being held in my hand. At first I figured my lens was at fault, but I am unable to replicate this issue on my personal D7000...

The pictures I've posted were taken using the multi-point 3D focus or the single-point focusing setting. (I only changed this setting as a personal preference throughout the weekend. I had no idea my photos were having any issue.) And all at a slightly shallow aperture. (2.8-3.2)

Now, although I've tried to replicate this on my own camera, I am obviously unable to see whether anything was up with the D610 as the rental company has it back already.

I'm really upset that my photos turned out this way as they are supposed to be the official event photos for this event. I should have done some sample shots and checked closely, but the last two times I rented a camera from them, I had no issues. Let alone what I paid for a few days, I would expect it to work flawlessly, I suppose.

Is this normal?
Would I have been able to fix this myself?
Any clue as to why this would happen?

I would like to seek a refund from the company if it seems like their body was the issue. I'd just like to make sure it could actually be the body at fault, first.

Note: I did a full settings reset immediately before taking any photos.

Last edited:
Clicked on the images to get a larger version to attempt a diagnosis and got an ad for soy milk....

Camera body seriously out of whack...

That's what I'm leaning towards. It doesn't make sense to me why an object on the same plane would lose focus across the same plane. What would cause this? A dirty sensor? or broken mirror, etc.?

I think the lens mount was the most likely culprit, with it likely having been out of alignment, probably from a serious impact or drop with a lens on the camera.

That's what I'm leaning towards. It doesn't make sense to me why an object on the same plane would lose focus across the same plane. What would cause this? A dirty sensor? or broken mirror, etc.?
I'd guess that somebody has knocked the sensor out of alignment. Probably handled roughly by a previous rental customer.

Or dropped in shipping.

FYI: the mirror has nothing to do with the photo.

wow, that's weird.
Damaged Flange or sensor out of alignment, or too much soy milk.

Most reactions

Back