Strange grunge on photos

Cinka

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all, I'm working on some product photos for my sister and noticed this strange grunge on my photos.

ISO is set at 100, so it's not ISO grain. I have 3 lights - at the moment, I think two (Alien Bees b800) were just off to the side and one Canon 580exII behind the white paper. I'm using a 35 mm lens. I'm shooting inside and when I took this one the overhead chandelier was on. Even when it's off, it still shows up. I inspected the lens and it looks clean. Note: I picked a random photo out of the bunch, this one isn't especially exposed or lighted well. 5D Mark III on a tripod.

Never seen anything like it. I can figure out what the issue is. Anyone know?

Attachments

• KSP_4364.jpg
    KSP_4364.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 150
Is it the texture of the paper?

@480sparky - That's definitely on my list of maybes. It just standard issue "pure white" seamless. Seems like a strange thing to happen, even if it is the paper. Never in all my years seen something like this.

If the light is hitting it obliquely, it will show up like that.

@480sparky It's showing up even when the light is 45 degree angle. Possibly it's the 580exii in the back. I'll check.

The appearance is of the structure of the paper. The lights you are using are perhaps causing the reflected light to come back at different angles or wavelengths.
Take a set of photos with one light, then 2 lights, then 3, then add chandelier, etc and see if the reflectivity of the paper changes.

@dennybeall I'll definitely do some tests today and experiment with the lighting. It's so bizarre. I've been using white seamless forever and I've had these lights for about 7 years. Just weird. I'll post results.

Definitely the paper/light arrangement. I can even line up the reflection of it from the surface to the paper behind it with my eyes. Notice how it's not on the label or bottle.

Yeah if the flash is behind the paper this is likely the cause. Backdrops like that are design to reflect light and you are projecting the light.

Yeah if the flash is behind the paper this is likely the cause. Backdrops like that are design to reflect light and you are projecting the light.
AHHHH!!! I didn't even notice in the opening post that one of the lights was BEHIND the paper!!! That's totally it!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back