Strange light leak

Lord Jauncey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can anyone identify if this a light leak or not and where it might be coming from .. it only appears on shots with a lot of background light . I though it might be a problem with the lense seal but have checked and it is still happening . Some shots come out fine and others like this . It could be described as a blur of light around bright areas .

I'm shooting on a Pentax ME Super .

Any ideas ?

92.jpg
93.jpg

Light leak are often un-even, if this is a light leak, its a big one :D:D

The AF in this scenario usually not very good. I think you just miss focus, not light leak. That's what I think. I could be very wrong.

Was there a reflection raking across your lens on the second one? Have the camera turned a little more to the light maybe?

This looks as though you need a lens hood more than anything.

Thanks for the replies .. here is another shot showing the light blurring / leaking whater it is:

94.jpg

thanks

Yeah, those aren't leaks, it's just the problem of having very bright backlighting. It also looks like you've got some flare issues going on.

It's not a light leak in the usual sense. The lens is producing this. It's a
type of lens flare.

You didn't say what lens you're using but this is the reason that lenses
have coating on their internal elements -- to reduce this sort of thing.
Some lenses cope with back-lighting better than others.

It might simply be the design of the lens or the lens may have some
internal haze, fungus, etc.

Remove the lens, open the diaphragm and shine a flashlight through it. If
there is any internal haze, debris, fungus or excessive dust you will see it.

If not, it's just the design of the lens and all you can do is try a different
lens for these situations. A hood might help as well.

Last edited:
do you know what,

ive got a few pictures on the last BW roll i shot and they were looking like this. background was too bright.

Thanks everyone for your advice .. have had a look and will clean it properly, was a 50mm Pentax standard lense on the ME Super .

Cheers

Leo

Perhaps it is due to SweattyLens :)

Thanks for the replies .. here is another shot showing the light blurring / leaking whater it is:

94.jpg

thanks

That's a quality of the lens, often a desirable one for it's "dreamy" effect.

Most lenses that do this, will improve when stopped down. The DOF seems pretty narrow in this shot, where you shooting at full-aperture?

BTW: I think that this particular shot is much better with the light bleed then it would be without.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back