Stranger hands me his Nikon!

Kawi_T

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
OK. Just came home from my work Christmas dinner. I live in the Chicago suburbs and work for a Brazilian company. So we just had our Christmas party at Fogo de Chao, the Brazilian steakhouse. Exellent drinks and food (all steak as much as you can eat). I was going to bring my Nikon D40X but decided not to. I didn't want to have to babysit my camera when I was trying to have a good time. So after a while I wished I had brought it. Everyone wanted pics and no camera. So we're getting ready to leave and some random people are taking some pics. I look over and this old timer is playing around with this bad ass camera. Not sure what the model was but it was a Nikon and it made my 40 look like a kids toy. So I start chatting with the fellow and tell him I'm just getting into photography and have a D40X and etc etc etc. So he's like 'hey will you take some pics of us and our party?' and is trying to hand me this bad ass camera. OK sure. Still not sure the model. Has a big LCD and a screen on the top of the body where my 40 doesn't. So he hands me the camera and walks away. I mean he gone. I'm looking around, I'm holding his camera, I'm standing next to the exit, and this guy is gone, taking a piss or something. I'm 2 seconds from making a run for the door. I gotta be holding over 2 grand in my hand, where is this guy? So I stick around, he comes back, and I take some pics of him and his family next to the Christmas tree. I'm sure they sucked. He's like 'OK thanks alot' and I say ' No, get back over there, I'm not done'. So I'm acting like I'm a pro or something. I take like 10 shots just cause I didn't want to give the camera back. So, In the end, I didn't steal his ****, but I didn't give it back until I was done playing with it. DONT HAND YOUR CAMERA TO STRANGERS!!! If I was a lesser man than I think I am, I could have been go SO easily. I hate thieves and would never steal someones hard earned stuff. But never underestimate the power of temptation.

You'll sleep better tonight for your honesty!

I was in a restaurant once and someone had left the keys to the red Porsche convertible that was parked just outside on the table. The waiter didn't notice them and I didn't say a word for a while.

I did tell the waiter about them after a bit to save me the grief.

The car was still there when I left, although I can't vouch for the waiter after I'd gone. :) LOLOLOL

i would have been to afraid to leave with it. my luck it would have ended up on some tv show,ie: americas dumbest criminals.....candid camera...etc

He might have worked for a paper hoping it would get stolen, so he could get a D3 to replace it !?

You are good person for not stooping to the level of a common thief.

I've observed behavior like this on numerous occasions. Keys left on the bar while the guy left to the restroom... etc..

Value and our need to protect our investment is all relative... If the camera was 1 days pay for the fellow then it is probably not a worry for him just like I don't take my jacket to the restroom with me at the bar.

I've also noticed that some are more trusting than others depending from which culture they were raised in. It wasn't too long ago that people in the United States didn't lock their cars and left their front door open on a cool summer's evening. That is a rare behavior today.

to be frank, i am amazed how many people actually are honest and return what they find.

I think this should be standard behaviour, and I have no sympathy for people who behave not like that. It does not matter how big a temptation it is, no mercy for them.

I only had my camera to other people, when i know i can run faster than them ;)

While shopping for a diamond for my wife a while back (engagement ring) a diamond store sales person pulled a big one out with those tweezers they use. It spit out of the tweezers and was nowhere to be found. Sales person was freaking out - called her boss over and he was freaking out. Out of the corner of my eye I see it in the cuff of my dress pants (back in the days when I wore suits!). I could have just strolled out with it in the cuff of my pants and they never would have seen it. Handed it back though. Wonder what my wife would think of having a "hot" diamond - LOL!

I just looked around on the Nikon site. I'm pretty sure it was a D200. D300 looks pretty similar but my gut feeling is that it was a D200. Looking at that site makes me wish I had something better than my D40X. I had a hard time affording the one I have though. Maybe I could have stretched and got the D80. It doesn't really matter though because I know next to nothing about photography and all my photos stink! I'll upgrade in a few years. In the meantime I think I'm going to enlist in that online course that everyone around here is talking about.

I just looked around on the Nikon site. I'm pretty sure it was a D200. D300 looks pretty similar but my gut feeling is that it was a D200. Looking at that site makes me wish I had something better than my D40X. I had a hard time affording the one I have though. Maybe I could have stretched and got the D80. It doesn't really matter though because I know next to nothing about photography and all my photos stink! I'll upgrade in a few years. In the meantime I think I'm going to enlist in that online course that everyone around here is talking about.

and do not forget about all the help you will get on this forum :)

I only had my camera to other people, when i know i can run faster than them ;)
Haha! Good advise!

I'm more afraid of other people dropping my camera than running off with it.
Whenever I had it to somebody I make sure they put the strap around their neck - just in case.

Haha! Good advise!

I'm more afraid of other people dropping my camera than running off with it.
Whenever I had it to somebody I make sure they put the strap around their neck - just in case.

i advise to have the strap around your neck! :p

I always transfer the next strap to their necks before they get to hold my camera, and honestly there are VERY few people that I would ever let hold my camera in the first place!

Most reactions

Back