Straps: will I regret purchasing other than a Black Rapid?

2WheelPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I wanted a Black Rapid strap.

Long story short, BHPhoto is closed, JR Electronics is out, and when 2 go bust I try to support my local shop (on small items especially).

Local shop sells straps but they clip to the camera's existing clip on one side. They said they like it better because nothing in the way of tripod mount.

Seems with a heavy lens the upside down tripod mount is best for balance and comfort? Seems tripod mount will be stronger for a cam with a moderately heavy lens and battery grip? Or is my thinking off?

Thanks in advance.

A strap is not something to skimp on. If it looks sketchy, it probably is. The tripod mount is one of the strongest points to mount something on your camera.

I use an inexpensive (read 'cheap) Optech strap harness for two cameras (~$22) and it works incredibly well, attaching to the standard strap brackets. (There are quick releases on each side)

I don't like the idea of suspending cameras from their tripod mount, that was not designed for tensile pulls and having the lens bounding around behind my sight line.
The camera is held upright and the grip falls to my hand quite easily. The strap matches their single straps so I can go from a camera and strap to the harness with only two clicks.
I use it routinely with a 24-70 on one side and a 70-300 or 85 1.4 on the other with success.

If the BR for much more money has some advantage that justifies the >$100 cost difference I can't see it.

I use the lowepro-transporter and love it! I originally bought the black rapid strap and used it for a day and really did not like it. I use a tripod and monopod frequently and for me it is pain to remove it and install the tripod/monopod. I also did no like the camera hanging upside down and by the tripod mount. Many others love it but for me the lowepro transporter of voyager is the way to go. Hope this helps!

On my longer heavier lens I try to never rely on the camera strap and I hold the tripod mount on the lens along with the strap around my neck...

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
pretty sure you can purchase from black rapid directly. Otherwise just be patient and buy one form B&H when they re open.

Straps: will I regret purchasing other than a Black Rapid? YES!

I use an inexpensive (read 'cheap) Optech strap harness for two cameras (~$22) and it works incredibly well, attaching to the standard strap brackets. (There are quick releases on each side)

I don't like the idea of suspending cameras from their tripod mount, that was not designed for tensile pulls and having the lens bounding around behind my sight line.
The camera is held upright and the grip falls to my hand quite easily. The strap matches their single straps so I can go from a camera and strap to the harness with only two clicks.
I use it routinely with a 24-70 on one side and a 70-300 or 85 1.4 on the other with success.

If the BR for much more money has some advantage that justifies the >$100 cost difference I can't see it.

Thanks for the replies, I didn't suspect it would be so split. I never thought about this point, have you ever heard of one pulling the female portion of the bolt out of the camera?

The_Traveler said:

I would argue that the tripod mount is designed for exactly that. Cameras are mounted upside down and sideways all the time in macro and copy work and have been for fifty years. In addition that mount is designed to hold the battery grip/motor drive where 100% of the camera and lens weight is suspended from that grip.

As for the lens bouncing around BR straps have a forward bumper to stop that.

Lastly, someone mentioned taking the mount off every tine they mounted to a tripod or monopod, I use Manfroto heads and the BR Manfroto plate adapter which solves that issue too.

Allan

Lastly, someone mentioned taking the mount off every tine they mounted to a tripod or monopod, I use Manfroto heads and the BR Manfroto plate adapter which solves that issue too.

Allan[/QUOTE]

Thats interesting I didnt realize they even made one and it looks very nice... I still really enjoy my Lowepro but that would be a must have with the BR.

I am waiting for just a teeny justification of the extra $100.

The $20 dollar one has worked well for me so far; of course I don't get the bragging rights of a cool name.

Last edited:
yup... made one too for my olympus m43 and occasionally my dslr.

391120543.jpg

The $20 dollar one has worked well for me so far; of course I don't get the bragging rights of a cool name.

The one I'm looking at is 60 bux total, but you all have about talked sense into me anyway.

Where are you getting "extra $100" from? Amazon sells the BR7 for $58.95, so using your math the strap you use pays you $41.05 to use it? You could also get the RS4 from Amazon for $53.95, even cheaper!

Teeny justification? Front bumper which I have not seen on any of the immitators, awesome support, a product you know has been through tons of actual real world testing instead of just copying the looks of something, the Manfrotto relationship and adapter, the hooks for the joeys, there are several for you.

Allan

Double Harness $129 + shipping vs 22 from optech.

Support on a camera strap?

This is the kind of expensive add-on, like a battery grip on a D90, that seems to me to be more of a weenie wagging thing than anything else.
I've used Op-tech straps for years, happily, with never a failure and see no reason to pay more for no clear deliverable value.
You can do whatever floats your boat; the OP asked for input and I've given mine.

bbfn,

Lew

Double Harness $129 + shipping vs 22 from optech.

Support on a camera strap?

This is the kind of expensive add-on, like a battery grip on a D90, that seems to me to be more of a weenie wagging thing than anything else.
I've used Op-tech straps for years, happily, with never a failure and see no reason to pay more for no clear deliverable value.
You can do whatever floats your boat; the OP asked for input and I've given mine.

bbfn,

Lew

Still, you linked to Amazon and the Optech on Amazon is $32.99 not $22 (only fair to use the same suppier for both to compare prices). But that aside, there are lots of differences, which I agree is very personal to each photographer. Some may prefer one to the other at any price, others may be swayed by price above other factors. There is no right answer.

That being said it just sounded like you were saying the only difference is price, and that is not true, there are many other differences which may or may not be important to someone. For example, the Optech is not detachable whereas the BR is (I own the BR in question, I use it sometimes as a single camera strap and sometimes as a double, it comes apart and works as a standard BR single strap). The Optech attaches to the camera body, I prefer the attachment to the lens on long lenses for better balance. The Optech has no method of keeping the camera from swaying forward when I lean forward to bend down and adjust something, the BRs do. The Optech has no attachment points for joeys or a brad, the BR does. The Optech uses standard cloth for the mounts to the camera which the sharp edges on some camera will cut through (that is why some strap manufacturers use Kevlar for those types of attachments) whereas the BR does not have that problem. The Optech uses plastic quick releases near the camera which scares me as they could accidently get activated, the BR does not. The Optech does not allow the cameras to sit with the lens facing back where it doesn't get in the way and bang on things as I walk by, the BR does. The straps that attach to the camera on the Optech are much smaller than the BR strap. The Optech does not allow the camera to "swing" up into position smoothly, the BR does.

Now none of that may matter to you or the OP, to each their own, but implying that there is no difference other than price is just not correct. The Optech may do exactly what you need, and that is great, it will not however, for any amount of money, do what I need it to do. Which is why I use the BR, not because it is name brand, not because it is more expensive, not because someone else uses it, but because it is as close to the perfect strap for what I need as is currently manufactured.

Whichever strap the OP chooses, I wish them the best of luck with it!

Allan

Most reactions

New Topics

Back