Straws and Light

lee_alkureishi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been trying new things with my newly purchased macro rig, as follows:

D70, mounted on unitor (cheeeeeap) bellows (needs 3 extension tubes to clear the mount!)
Old MF Xenit 135mm f/3.5 reverse mounted on the end of the bellows
Tripod with pistol-style head
3x desk-mount flexible lamps (tungsten)

Had a go at shooting the ends of these straws this morning - not sure what to make of the results... Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Leeko

4497de1f35a74f02.jpg

This is an abstract that I like quite a bit here!
Lovely play with the patterns of the straw and the lights!
While I am a bit at a loss with your description of the set-up used for this (not because you are not expressing yourself, but because I understand so little of the matter :roll: :er: ), I do like the outcome! :D

Thanks for all the comments folks,

it's good to see how other people view your work... I wasn't sure if I liked this shot, but it's had one of the most positive responses of all the pics I've posted.. Guess I have some weird preferences

Thanks again,

Leeko

I really dig this one. Very abstracty

If I were in your shoes and shooting these straws in different shades of color, what I probably would have done is gotten hundreds of them put them together in a tight grid, say 500x500 straws and elevate some of them to make it look like a wave. Then, I would put the light on them and made it look like "a sea of color", yet I would still angle my lens close-up enough to let the viewer still recognize that they were looking at straws.

I'd probably pull my lens out to something like 35mm, which on film is a good enough wide angle for a shot like this. I'd play around with tilts and such to maybe try and give it a turbulant look to it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back