Streaky Film

Helter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, I just developed my first roll of film ever and to my surprise actually turned out quite nice but it is kind of streaky is that normal? Should I clean the negatives with something before scanning them? Will the streaks show in the scan? Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks.

my guess is that you have dirt or snags in your camera, though I have seen streaky effects by poor agitation.

if teh streaks are just water marks, wash in photoflo. No photoflo? Try MiraLax!

No Photo Flo or MiraLax, do what I do and use Jet Dry!

Jet dry would be cheaper than MiraLax.

But does it help with the artistic constipation?

My Caffinol mix says...no :(

Oh Caffinol - there are so many other, more interesting developing agents than Nescafé worth looking into...

Thanks everyone, the negatives look great I can't wait to scan them, I'm just happy it worked and I'll experiment with ways to get it " un-streaky ".

I have got photo flow and, after dumping the fixer out, I just poured water in the tank and took the funnel part out and then poured a tiny bit of photoflow and swished it around like fancy people with wine do in movies. Should I just try rolling the film back up in the spool and try that again or is there another technique you photo-flo users are talking about you wouldn't mind sharing.

Thanks again everyone,
Brad

Also forgot to mention, I can't be sure but I don't think its a camera problem unpopular, I've gotten prints and negatives from drug stores and they always look fine. I just wanted to do it myself for fun.

well, be sure to scan them in and post! if the streaks are in the negative, rather than just "on" in the negative, i'm sure we can help diagnose the problem.

don't take the film off the spool, leave it on. Use a few drops of photo flo with distilled water, or a "few drops with tap water. Too much photoflow will create even more issues with the film

Isn't the stock solution for photoflo like 1ml per liter? I'd just follow the stock recipe. Both jugs and photoflo are cheap.

And yeah, like any detergent, it can leave a residue if too highly concentrated.

I use it as a one shot process. A few drops in 16oz of distilled water. If developing more than one roll of film I use it again,but when finished with the run I discard the solution. Keeping it usually results in strange things growing in the bottle :)

Also, I use LPN rather than photoflow, as i like it better. I bit more expensive but I feel it does a better job.

I always use filtered or distilled water for the photoflo step. Just some cheap bottled water from the store.

My experience with tap water is that it has a surprising amount of grit and crap in it -- but this is mostly or entirely rinsed off by that that final photoflo step.

Also, do NOT over agitate the photoflo solution. This is basically a very very powerful soap, and it'll foam up easily and leave dried bubbles all over your film. Gently gently.

I never used to agitate on photoflo, just pretty much dip and remove. There really isn't any need, provided that your solution is pre-mixed. It's just there to lower the surface tension so that there is no visible residue left behind.

and btw - it works like a powerful soap, but it's actually polyethylene glycol - an emulsifier. I don't remember the exact molecular weight ... i think it's something like 2200 g/mol.

Soaps are typically the salts of fatty acids that work as surfactants.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back